DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Why don't you either user the native Oracle client or the native Oracle ODBC driver? The first option would be best.
    This is hearsay not evidence: I have been warned NOT to use the MicroSoft Oracle ODBC driver - so I never have. It's claimed to simply not work. So go with Gandolf, use the Oracle version.

Source Code

Below is the code that can recreate the problem (it was just a console app that I created). You will need to create a user in Oracle (just make up a quick user with DBA privileges). Contained within the #if block below is the stored proc you will have to add to the user. The problem will only show itself if a successful attempt to execute the stored proc is made. After the successful procedure execution, you will be prompted to yank the network cable. If you do that, it will most certainly crash. If the stored proc doesn't exist, and can't be executed correctly, it will not show the behaviour.

One other thing. I am running a Oracle 9.2.0.1 database and MDAC 2.8 (which includes the MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle)
    For some reason, I can't post the code here without it getting mangled. You can download the project from here though in a zip file.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rwmart...rashSample.zip
    Last edited by Dr_Cogent; 08-16-2004 at 04:43 PM.
    Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

So I guess this thread is dead eh?

Originally posted by Dr_Cogent
    So I guess this thread is dead eh?

I think that the thread is dead. You want to code for a condition that should not happen. You can try a different odbc driver, or you can try native drivers, if that is an option. The only other thing that you could try would be to test the connection to make sure that it is still active, everytime you try and access the database. But that seems excessive. Should Microsoft fix this bug? Yes. Will they, maybe.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    I think that the thread is dead. You want to code for a condition that should not happen. You can try a different odbc driver, or you can try native drivers, if that is an option. The only other thing that you could try would be to test the connection to make sure that it is still active, everytime you try and access the database. But that seems excessive. Should Microsoft fix this bug? Yes. Will they, maybe.
    I have to code for this condition because it very well could happen. Sometimes apps lose their connection to the server and I have to be able to recover from that.