deleted file size didn't update the available O.S. disk space - Page 2
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: deleted file size didn't update the available O.S. disk space

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,092
    Originally posted by abhaysk
    This sucks aint it?? in this respect Windows is good
    In a lot of respects Windoz is good:
    1. It has a pretty gui that a anybody with a HS diploma can administer.
    2. Thinking, thinking, thinking

    nope, I guess that's about it...
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,027
    Originally posted by marist89
    You can pull a 34' camper with a Honda Civic. That doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

    Can I borrow your Honda Civic?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,092
    Originally posted by gandolf989
    Can I borrow your Honda Civic?
    sure, but the clutch may be a little loose...
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by marist89
    In a lot of respects Windoz is good:
    1. It has a pretty gui that a anybody with a HS diploma can administer.
    2. Thinking, thinking, thinking

    nope, I guess that's about it...
    I hope my customers understand this ..

    well there are some more good things..

    2) registry
    3) lock the file in use .. so you cannot delete unless released..
    sometimes this sucks also..

    Abhay.
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,092
    Originally posted by abhaysk

    2) registry
    you consider that a good thing?


    3) lock the file in use .. so you cannot delete unless released..
    sometimes this sucks also..
    yes, you've got to love a filesystem that is so ancient that it has to put a lock on it's files so it can operate on them. I wrote a filesystem in college that did the same thing...
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by marist89
    you consider that a good thing?
    In some scenario, yes it is..

    Originally posted by marist89
    yes, you've got to love a filesystem that is so ancient that it has to put a lock on it's files so it can operate on them. I wrote a filesystem in college that did the same thing...
    Indeed this is lovable.. Jus think of the miscreant deleting Oracle Datafiles when DB is up and running..
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    367
    Indeed this is lovable..
    Unless your running Netbackup and have turned logging on and then off. Can't delete the logs without stopping the services, and sometimes even that doesn't work!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,092
    Originally posted by abhaysk

    Indeed this is lovable.. Jus think of the miscreant deleting Oracle Datafiles when DB is up and running..
    An OS where you have to worry about a miscreant coming in...priceless.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by hacketta1
    Unless your running Netbackup and have turned logging on and then off. Can't delete the logs without stopping the services, and sometimes even that doesn't work!
    Thas why ..

    Originally posted by abhaysk
    ..
    sometimes this sucks also..
    Abhay.
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Geneva Switzerland
    Posts
    3,142
    Originally posted by marist89
    . . . a filesystem that is so ancient . . .
    UNIX, hmmmm, 1969 or there abouts, wasn't it? . . . don't tell me they've changed something since then?

    Nice quote from the Bell Labs site:
    "Before Multics there was chaos, and afterwards, too"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width