DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulars - what motivates you to answer questions here?

Regulars - what motivates you to answer questions here?

A question for the "regulars" :
    What motivates you to answer questions on this particular site, as against say the Oracle technical forums (metalink)? The quality of questions posed there are generally a tad better. Not as often do you see a "I can't read the manual" or "I don't want to read" or "I can't google/technet" type of questions.

Again, I'm not a regular there, nor am I an Oracle employee. I was on it today, and happened to notice some decent stuff - that's all.

Don't get me wrong - I've both benefitted from and contributed a little here. Obviously, it is a good thing that folks are willing to help out, no matter how mundane the question (or response). I'm just wondering about the motivation of folks with over a 1000 posts. What motivates you to answer questions like "fix my tnsnames.ora" "how do I perform a hot backup" etc? Quite remarkably, Tom still gets some of those on his site too!

Okay, back to work now..

Boredom, and the delusion that someone might offer me a new job.

Personally I'm a real cherry-picker when it comes to answering questions -- most of them I'm just not interested in.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave
    Boredom, and the delusion that someone might offer me a new job.

Man, you're brutally honest!

Personally, the reason I don't spend more time on the Oracle technical forums is - I hate the UI.

For me it's a kind of gym where I get a workout. These are (usually) real-life problems which give me a chance to test my skills (if any).

The ones I like best are those that are at the limit of my capabilities - where I react with "I should know the answer to that!". Five minutes searching around perhaps fixes a problem and I've learned something - and Dave or Tamil will gently put me right if I stray (or pando will blast me out of the water, Jeff doesn't bother coz he only does ABW ).

P.S. agree about Meatlink

For me it helps me to test my skills. I'm in a job where they don't require all that much of me, and its nice to have a distraction when I need it. I'm not at 1,000 post yet, but I'm one closer now.

When you have my amount of knowledge, tact, humanity, and overall concern for others it would be a crime to keep this all to myself.
    I see myself as the forum humanitarian.

With Love, Peace, and Understanding.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Mr. H's post breakdown:
    Code:
    Category                Count
    ----------------------- ------
    Shoot the developers      1043
    It's Friday                618
    Use a parfile               43
    Other                       19
                             -----
    Total                     1723
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    When you have my amount of knowledge, tact, humanity, and overall concern for others it would be a crime to keep this all to myself.
    I see myself as the forum humanitarian.

With Love, Peace, and Understanding.

MH
    Somethings are best kept to one's self.
    You above all else should know that Mr. Hanky.

Originally posted by slimdave
    Personally I'm a real cherry-picker when it comes to answering questions -- most of them I'm just not interested in.
    Me too. I used to answer a bunch questions across the board, but now I pick and choose in areas I am interested in, areas I can make a unique contribution, or correcting something when it's obviously wrong. (I'll have to keep a closer eye on Dapi, though...)
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by gandolf989
    For me it helps me to test my skills. I'm in a job where they don't require all that much of me, and its nice to have a distraction when I need it.
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step!
    Jeff Hunter