DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle9i on Winxp need to regenerate the oracle configuration file.error- ORA-12154.

oracle9i on Winxp need to regenerate the oracle configuration file.error- ORA-12154.

Hi,
    I'm a new user to Oracle. when I tried to execute my code in ASP I got an error and after googleing I found that I need to regenerate the oracle configuration files to fix the error.

The follwing is the error I got

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)
    [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

My operating system is Winxp and Oracle version is 9i.

any one plz tell me the procedure to regenerate the congiguration files.and I request U for U'r suggessions to fix the above error.

Thanks in advance,
    Rajesh.

On the client - edit your tnsnames.ora located in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
    Add/edit an entry that points to right sid, port and machine.

If you don't know how - post your listener.ora file located in the same directory (on the database server).

Hi,
    Thanks for U'r reply.Already I edited my TNSNAMES.ORA file.I am pasting the file below.
    # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

shop =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname )(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = shop)
    )
    )

RAJ =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = raj)
    )
    )

INST1_HTTP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = SHARED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
    (PRESENTATION = http://HRService)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

I'm able to connect to Oracle through SQL+
    The test for DSN is also successful.
    I'm able to run the TNSLSNR (ORACLEHOME/network/admin/bin/tnslsnr)successfully.
    but when I try to run the tnsping file, then the problem occurs.I searched in google about the error.I found the solution that I need to regenerate the configuratio files to fix it itseems.

And I didn't get your second suggession "post listener".can U plz tell me the way how to do that?

my system is not connected to any LAN.so I think my system itself works as a SERVER as well as the client I think.

Thanks,
    Rajesh.
    Last edited by orcle_beginer; 08-06-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Plug in the ipaddress of your database server (in your case - it is your local machine) in place of hostname. host=123.450.0.000. Your listener.ora should be located in the same directory that your tnsnames.ora file sits. (If the database is indeed running locally).

What's the sid that you're connecting to - raj or shop? What are you trying to tnsping? Where does your DSN point to?

I tried by replacing the host name with the ip address.but the error is the same as before.listener.ora and tnsnames.ora are in the same directory(oraclehome/network/admin/).I have created two databases, shop and Raj.I'm able to connect to oracle through SQL+ the database "shop". and the SID is also the same(shop) for the database shop.