DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third party database monitoring tools

Re: Third party database monitoring tools

Originally posted by mountain60
    I'm looking for a Oracle database monitoring tools.
    roll your own with perl...

Jeff Hunter

A word of warning with regard to Spotlight if you're on Unix. Spotlight's OS monitoring capabilites depend on either rexecd or sshd. Now the security conscious sys admin. will have disabled rexecd, which means you'll use sshd instead. The security conscious sys admin will also have sshd display an authorized use banner on connection. The problem is, Spotlight doesn't support sshd with a banner, in fact it causes a general protection fault in the application. I've spoken to Quest support and there is no fix for this.

Thanks.

Thank you all for your informative responses. My goal here is to get a tool that will centralize monitoring all databases we have (on multiple platforms). I would like to have more features (avaiability, performance, etc monitoring and notification) than OEM can offer. I used to write unix shell scripts for lots of the tasks. But the tasks has consume more and more of my time. I would like to have a tool that can reduce my daily monitoring routine, let's say, from 4 hours to 1 hour.

I had watched a demo on SmartDBA (a bundled s/w that contains Patrol) from BMC. I was very impressed with the rich features it offers. I am trying to contact Quest Software to set up a demo for Spotlight. I will do some research on the tools suggested here. I will let you know my final decision so that it may be helpful to others.

Spotlight is a diagnostic module, not monitoring. If you want a 24x7 monitoring tool Quest offers Foglight (does the same as OEM with Management Server and Oracle agent).

By the way, the complete Quest solution (Quest Central for Databases) is very good and worth of trying.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels