DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXP/IMP ?????

HI,
    I am doing a hardisk formate to NT server, which already
    has oracle8.05.
    I will be reinstalling NT and installing oracle8.1.6.
    what is the steps required to do that??? keep in minde that
    I need to move the database in 8.0.5 to 8.1.6.
    Please give me the steps in details.

thanks,

if you dont have too much data you could do export of 8.0.5 then after installing 8.1.6 do a full import to 8.1.6.

does EXP includes the datafiles,control files....etc ??
    or I have to do that myself?? remember I am formating
    the hardisk.

Hm I see you dont know how EXP/IMP works.
    After you export the database you will get a dump file, after you install your new version of Oracle 8.1.6, you create a new database with assistant. After the database is created you import the dump file to the new database with full option, this will create the datafiles AS LONG AS the paths of the ld datafile in 8.0.5 EXISTS.

For example, let's say that currently your system looks like this

Oracle is installed in
    c:\oracle

You have 3 tablespaces/datafiles in your database (other than system, rbs, etc)
    d:\oradata\users01.dbf
    d:\oradata\index01.dbf
    e:\oradata\tools01.dbf

When you export (read the docs), you will get a file, you can call it anything, say export.dmp. Then you can reformat (after transfering the dump file somewhere else of course)

After you create the new database (follow the proper steps), you will run import (read the docs) on 8.1.6 with the export.dmp you transfered back to that machine. The new database you have will have it's own control files, etc. The only thing you need from the previous database is the full export file.

If you don't pre-create the tablespaces, import will try to import them to their original location (d:\oradata and e:\oradata). If those don't exist you might have to create them, or it will yell at you first saying they're not there, I'm not sure as I always do it the right way :)

You could also pre-create empty tablespaces/datafiles and import will use those instead.

you can use imp with destroy=y option , will overwrite (recreate) the datafile as in origine.

hello ocpdude,

they are right...after you installed your ORACLE8.1.6 engine the next thing that you need to do is to create the database manually or using the DB Assistant...then you can now IMPORT your EXPORT DUMP FILE using the FULL=Y option...But, there is one more thing you have to do...Since all of the datafiles will be created or modified(SYSTEM tablespace) I believe you need to run the script that will populate the data dictionary tables for ORACLE 8.1.6...

Am i right, guys??? Please correct me if i'm wrong...

I hope this would help you...

Cardinal

"Let's get it on..."

if you use the assistant the execution of catalog.sql and catproc.sql will be done by the assistant automatically

hello pando,

yeah, you're right...but i'm just wondering if you import the dump file using FULL=Y that means the objects under the SYSTEM tablespaces will be recreated including the Data Dictionary tables.. that is why i believe you have to run the catproc and catalog script again to overwrite the data dictionary from ORACLE8.0.5 back to ORACLE8.1.6...

what do you think?

Thanks...

Cardinal
    "Let's get it on..."

No, you don't have to rerun catproc.sql. The data dictionary objects do not get imported in a full import...
    Jeff Hunter