DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: coldbackup

coldbackup

Hi,

Could someone suggest any d/b related things that need to be taken care of prior to performing cold backup? Such as logging off users etc ...
    Thanks in advance

If you mean Cold Backkup, the database should be close, sure, all connections will be disconnected.

Cheers!
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998

Under Windows after db shutdown, I stop the OracleServiceMYSID (and the Listener) too. Under circumstances I haven't figured yet, there can be OS locks on the db files.

Originally posted by DaPi
    Under Windows after db shutdown, I stop the OracleServiceMYSID (and the Listener) too. Under circumstances I haven't figured yet, there can be OS locks on the db files.
    Huh? For a cold backup - why do you bother shutting down the service and listener after the database is down? What specific issues prompted you to do this? You initiated a backup, and it skipped files because file descriptors were open on a closed database?!

Originally posted by Axr2
    You initiated a backup, and it skipped files because file descriptors were open on a closed database?!
    Yup! Arcserve.

(I know stopping the listener is probably not needed - I stopped all Oracle services, it worked and I never got round to reducing it to a minimum).

P.S. I've had similar trouble with dropping a TS under Windows: couldn't delete the underlying files until I shutdown the db & stopped the service.

At least it saves the howls of anguish that you see here from the UNIX types who have accidentally deleted a file in use!
    Last edited by DaPi; 08-05-2004 at 03:16 AM.