DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN - catalog of newly registered database stores info from all incarnations?!

RMAN - catalog of newly registered database stores info from all incarnations?!

When you register a new target to the catalog, and then issue a "list incarnations", RMAN lists all the previous incarnations as well. But why? What's the point?

Why does the catalog of a "newly" registered target database store information about ALL the previous incarnations (of the target) as well? What is the logic behind this? It is not as if any of the previous incarnations were backed up..it is not necessarily true anyway. I think the information is useless and kinda misleading. It misleads a novice DBA "at first sight" into thinking s/he might have backup information for multiple incarnations in the catalog.

Thoughts anyone?

Re: RMAN - catalog of newly registered database stores info from all incarnations?!

How about if you want to recover to a point in time before the last incarnation?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Re: Re: RMAN - catalog of newly registered database stores info from all incarnations?!

Originally posted by julian
    How about if you want to recover to a point in time before the last incarnation?
    Huh, what about it? I don't understand.

select resetlogs_time,prior_resetlogs_time from v$database;
    shows you the last couple of incarnations..

But if you're looking for something even older, restore your appropriate backup, that's all (it could very well have been just a traditional hotbackup). How does listing multiple incarnations benefit you for this?
    Last edited by Axr2; 08-01-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Re: Re: Re: RMAN - catalog of newly registered database stores info from all incarnations?!

Removed
    Last edited by Thomasps; 08-02-2004 at 07:13 AM.
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/