DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to limit the nymber of sessions that can be opened from a terminal?

do hit ratios show the database load....?

Originally posted by pando
    do hit ratios show the database load....?
    Hit ratios doesn't show the overall database load but, gives SGA utilization before and after init parms changes which gives an idea of Memory usage upon increasing number of processes.
    Reddy,Sam

Never believe in * Hit Ratios *
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Never believe in * Hit Ratios *
    The only one I believe in is Mr.H's 100% Hit Ratio on developers

I dont believe in hit ratios anyways, seen many damn slow databases with 99% hit ratios, the funny thing is hit ratio is always 99% even the peeps who are in charge decrease or increase the SGA so they always think big is good hehehe

Once I saw a guy put 4gb data block buffer, his argument was to achive e99% hit ratio, I decreased to 300mb and he asked, why you get 99% hit ratio too?

Originally posted by pando
    I dont believe in hit ratios anyways, seen many damn slow databases with 99% hit ratios, the funny thing is hit ratio is always 99% even the peeps who are in charge decrease or increase the SGA so they always think big is good hehehe

Once I saw a guy put 4gb data block buffer, his argument was to achive e99% hit ratio, I decreased to 300mb and he asked, why you get 99% hit ratio too?

Run some 10 F** queries 10 times a day you can see hit ratio shoot up 95+ ( I think, the guy whose argument and moto to achieve 99% hit ratio should be given noble prize )
    Last edited by abhaysk; 07-22-2004 at 05:10 AM.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

I should have been little clear in my posting(Hope its clear for JMac now), Anyway, I didn't say go by Hit ratios for Database Performance or databse load. I know, I had similar situations of poor database performance with 90+ hit ratios.

Just to get relative comparision of where memory usage for the same database with same kinda queries running before and after incrementing processes. Simple and Dirty way of finding how resources(memory, cpu, i/o) utilized when number of processes(sessions) increased.
    Reddy,Sam