DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: am I ready yet?

Smile

Hello,
    I've practed for about a week with both pl/sql and dba STS and am getting 80% final score for pl/sql and 70% for dba exam. Do you think I can make an attempt to take a real exam? The reason I am asking is I don't want to waste my time and money if I am not ready yet. I would rather study more. On another hand, I don't want to spend too much time practicing. I can never be 100% ready and won't know everything about Oracle any way. Is there anyone who have been in my situation? Please advise.
    Thank you and good luck to everyone.

Schedule your exam. It sometimes takes over a week to get in.
    Jeff Hunter

You need more time

I was scoring almost 100% on STS and the test for PL/SQL was MUCH harder than the STS. If you have the Oracle ILT's study them. I did not have them. I have my OCP now and I would suggest you keep at the STS for DBA exam until you score in the 90's before you attempt the test. You have to wait 30 days to retake a test if you fail so be sure you are ready before you schedule. I used the Exam Cram books, Jason Couchman's book and the cramsession.com web site for details about the exams. All that helps but for PL/SQl practice is MOST important. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure what Oracle ILT's is. What is it? Thank you.

ILT is Instructor Led Training

When you take Oracle classes you get their materials which are the basis for the exams. If you have those
    you are better prepared for the tests. If you don't have them you have to utilize books like Couchman's and
    the Exam Cram series. You can pass the tests by studying on your own. Go over the STS questions carefully and make sure you understand the concept behind each question. That first test is one of the hardest and has the most failures. Check out [url]http://feedback.cramsession.brainbuzz.com/cramsession/oracle/sql8_pl/forum.asp?M=25758&P=1&F=90[/url]
    to get feedback from those who have taken the test.

Cool Re: ILT is Instructor Led Training

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAD2000 [/i]
    [B] When you take Oracle classes you get their materials which are the basis for the exams. If you have those
    you are better prepared for the tests. If you don't have them you have to utilize books like Couchman's and
    the Exam Cram series. You can pass the tests by studying on your own. Go over the STS questions carefully and make sure you understand the concept behind each question. That first test is one of the hardest and has the most failures. Check out [url]http://feedback.cramsession.brainbuzz.com/cramsession/oracle/sql8_pl/forum.asp?M=25758&P=1&F=90[/url]
    to get feedback from those who have taken the test. [/B][/QUOTE]

I got at least 95% on the STS questions before attempting Pl/sql and missed the exam by one question!!! Its very frustrating as you have to wait 30 days! Examcram helped somewhat as did Couchman. I also have the ILT materials
    but you also need examcram to get another perspective.

Is pl/sql STS less difficult than a real test

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    I got the idea that a real pl/sql exam is more difficult than a STS I am using which is the only one measurement of my knowlege that is compatible with a real test. Did you people find a real pl/sql test much different and difficult than STS?
    Also, some people say that pl/sql exam is the most difficult of all 5 exams. Is it correct?
    Thank you.

Re: Is pl/sql STS less difficult than a real test

Don't let the SQL PL/SQL freak you out! This is one of the test where some hands on will take you a long way. The best advise I can give you is to get a copy of Personal Oracle8 or 8i and work with the commands.

But personally, I found the STS excellent. I took the ILT and scored 97% on my course, but am not sure I would have passed the actual exam without the STS.

Later I got the entire NETg TBT (Technology Based Training) series which can replace the ILT materials, certainly is quicker to work with & very much oriented to the exam objectives. If you are interested in other materials, I am ready to sell mine for Oracle8 and Oracle8i DBA. Email me at monkeymom10@hotmail.com.

Good luck with the tests. (P.S. I was recently certified as OCP Developer Rel. 6/6i)
    "Today is the beginning of the rest of your life!"