DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Merge RMAN repositories

Merge RMAN repositories

We've got 2 RMAN repositories on an AIX server - one at 8.1.7.4 and one at 8.0.5. Each is used in to back up a DB of the same version. We want to get rid of the 8.0.5 one and "merge" the two repositories. Does anyone know if this can be done? Or is the best way simply to register the 8.0.5 with the 8.1.7 repository and keep the old 8.0.5 one for as long as out tape retention policy in case we need it to restore?

Thanks,
    Fraze

Hi

It can be done..but not recommended..because you might run into problems..many users have run into problems..

regards
    Hrishy

Hrishy,

Can I still use the 817 repository for future backups of the 805 DB, or are there still problems with this? Don't suppose you've got any links to any material on the problems/methods - cant seem to find much on Metalink?

Thanks,
    Fraze

Re: Merge RMAN repositories

Originally posted by fraze
    We've got 2 RMAN repositories on an AIX server - one at 8.1.7.4 and one at 8.0.5. Each is used in to back up a DB of the same version. We want to get rid of the 8.0.5 one and "merge" the two repositories. Does anyone know if this can be done? Or is the best way simply to register the 8.0.5 with the 8.1.7 repository and keep the old 8.0.5 one for as long as out tape retention policy in case we need it to restore?

Thanks,
    Fraze
    I don't think you need to merge the repositories. I'm *pretty* sure that all you need to do is register the database that is currently being backed up with 8.0.5 with the 8.1.7 repository. The rman control file that is written has all the information and it will be picked up by the new repository.

When I went from my 8.1.7 to 9.2 Repository, it appeared to work just fine.

Just try to register it. No harm can be done. Check to see what it thinks is there. If it recognizes everything, cool. If not, keep the old one around until everything expires.

Good luck.

Jodie

> The rman control file that is written has all the information and it will be picked up by the new repository.

Not "all". Depends on the controlfile_record_keep_time parameter. Backup set and backup piece information etc is reuseable part of the controlfile. If it hasn't been reused, yes you might be able to salvage it. But if you're talking years of backup information, it'll most likely have been overwritten.

Thanks for the replies. The goal posts have moved slightly in that the requirement is for a single 9205 database, so I think the plan will be to have a 9205 catalog in there to back up the 817 DB, and an 805 catalog for the 805 DB. Then start using this asap while keeping the old catalogs for 28 days (our tape retention) in the unlikely event we need to do a restore using the old catalogs

> Then start using this asap while keeping the old catalogs for 28 days (our tape retention)

Lucky you. You don't need to retain quarter end/year end backups for ages.

Just another idea for the initial question. Am not sure if it'll work at all. You could export the old RMAN catalog schema (8.0.5) and import it into a separate schema on the new RMAN catalog (8.1.7.4), and see if it does the trick.