TNS service name problem with TOAD
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: TNS service name problem with TOAD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    IA USA
    Posts
    257

    TNS service name problem with TOAD

    Hi DBAs,

    i got a werid problem with TOAD. For some instances in the same
    server, I could login through SQL*PLUS. But when I tried to
    use TOAD to connect them, the system gave the error message--
    ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the service name.

    How could this be? I am not familiar with TOAD.

    Any input is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    5,253
    Perhaps you have multiple oracle homes on your client machine -- TOAD is using one of them, and SQL*Plus is from the other. The two homes have different tnsnames files.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

    Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

    Oracle ACE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    IA USA
    Posts
    257
    Thank you, slimdave.

    I thought that they might use different tnsnames.ora and checked it out.
    Axtually, there is just one tnsnames.ora in my client machine.
    Weird.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    316
    Definitely sounds like a ORACLE_HOME issue; unless the TOAD install was not clean (did this work at any point) ?

    Here are some ideas:

    from a DOS prompt, type PATH. TOAD is most likely using the ORACLE_HOME that is the first one in the PATH.

    OR

    you could simply force the ORACLE_HOME. In Control Panel, System, Advanced, Environment Variables, create a system variable TNS_ADMIN, and point that to the location of the tnsnames.ora file. That will force all connections to resolve the SID using the tnsnames.ora in this directory:

    Variable Name: TNS_ADMIN
    Variable Value: c:\oracle\oraHome9i\network\admin

    Good Luck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    IA USA
    Posts
    257
    Thanks for the tips.

    Finally found out that there are two entries for some instances which cannot be accessed by TOAD but could by sql*plus. It seems that
    sql*plus used the right one but TOAD used the wrong one.

    After fixing the tnsnames.ora and I can connect to them using TOAD and OEM.

    Another weird problem is :
    for one instance:
    I can access it using system accoount with the password through sql*plus,but cannot by TOAD or OEM STANDALONE using system account and
    the same password. They always reported ORA-01017:invalid username/password. logon denied.

    I am sure the password is right.
    I already log in as sysdba to do
    alter user system identified by 'mypassword';

    Really strange.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width