DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Easy way to convert SQL Server SQL into Oracle SQL format

Question

I have just had the task of migrating one of our SQL Server databases over into an Oracle 8i db dropped in my lap. I am a newbie to Oracle 8i, and I am looking for the quickest way to convert all of the Views from SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8i. I don't suppose there would be an free application on the net that I could download to do the conversion for me eh? I seriously doubt it myself, but there is always hope.

I am not familiar with Oracle SQL at this point. I am trying to familiarize myself with it (it is somewhat different than the way it is done in SQL Server). Are there any documents or web pages that show how to easily convert from one to the other? Thanks in advance fellow DB developers :)

Robert Martin (rwmartin@sisconet.com)
    Design Engineer
    SISCO Inc

Anything worthwhile is never easy

SQL Server to Oracle migration

I'm in the middle of a SQL Server v7 to Oracle v8.1.6 migration. I was also looking for a tool, but didn't find one and am doing it manually. Take a look at this Microsoft page that talks about migrating from Oracle to SQL Server. It shows some equivalent functionality between the 2 dbs: [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/SQL/manuals/admincmp/75517c11.asp[/url] I found it quite helpful. If you're using Microsoft's ADO with stored procs., like I am, you'll find some challenges with the way Oracle stored procs. return recordsets. E-mail me if you need help on this part.