DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9i DBA Help please

Re: 9i DBA Help please

Originally posted by kelvin prater
    Good afternoon all, I am responsible fto my company for the recruitment of contract DBA's 9i, Does anyone know of where I can download some questions and answer pages from the internet so that I can test my applicants. I need to test them on everything such as Installation, config, recovery, backup performance tuning, forms reports language skills and everything. Im quite desperate to find one can anyone help.
    Thanks
    Kelvin.
    Kelvin,

Fun part for your request is over now, Coming back to your original question: The best bet is sit with your DBA or other who you know (If you have one on the site right now) and discuss and talk about the practical world tasks like...

Table or Tablespace or Datafile is dropped, how to recover ? in different scenarios of most current backup a week before backup, fuzzy backup etc.

End Users complaining about Performance isuues one fine morning, kinda approach to find and resolve the issues etc.

After knowing the best/possible answers its easy to evaluate the person in the interview. So, Bottom line you need to be little knowledgeble about Oracle Administration before you interview the guy.
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by sreddy
    Thanks god ! I Was about to buy, Is Rampant Publishers "9i RAC Book" also Crap ? Till now I have not bought others books except Tom Kyte.

What about 9iRAC by Mr. Vallath, Murali ?

Any feedback would be appreciated and help me save $100.

I'm reading the 9iRAC book from Rampant (not finished yet) along with the material from the ILT book and the official documentation. Until now, liking a lot.

The book covers not only RAC architecture components (like ILT) but also some configuration/installation issues (covered by official documentation). Also, there is a comparison between different brands and market solutions that one won't find on Oracle documentation. It's not a purely theoretical book.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels

I have quite a few Rampant books in pdf format, most them are worthless, if I remember right one contains a pdf downloaded from dbazine

The RAC book by Digital Press is really good

I have just browsed thru Digital Press book and its really good. One more book I like after TKyte books.

Amazon reader reviews are crap, its very hard to make decision based on those reviews. The person knowledgeble recommends book and the person who is novice can't understand and criticise. There is no way of finding it until we browse/read the book.
    Reddy,Sam

Where's da poser..? Imagine the guy Kelvin recruits - I now fully understand the saying "People rise to their level of incompetence in an organisation"

Can't wait for Sanjays book

We wait for enlightenment oh great Sanjay, please write a book so we poor ignorant experts can bask in your greatness...

My books have helped more DBAs than your pithy, useless comments ever will. Go get a life.

Mike
    Michael R. Ault
    Senior Consultant
    Burleson Consulting

Hmmm I know what you're getting at Mike

No idea, that is!

Have you ever thought about
    -- Why on earth do I write crappy stories?
    --God, how do I force people to buy my galoonybaloony?(This thinking you've done, I'm sure)

I have too indeed had the misfortune of running into the rampant crap, now it doesn't even grace my garbage bin, I'd hate to use that paper to wipe my ass.

And I'm sure if Sanjay writes a book, reviewed by a few of the pro's here(No need to ask Tom or Lewis), it'll sell better than your trash.

I just feel sorry for Tim that he's making a debut at the rampant rampage.Fortunately the guy writes sensible stuff.
    Last edited by Tarry; 04-12-2005 at 06:21 PM.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Re: Can't wait for Sanjays book

Originally posted by mikerault
    We wait for enlightenment oh great Sanjay, please write a book so we poor ignorant experts can bask in your greatness...

My books have helped more DBAs than your pithy, useless comments ever will. Go get a life.

Mike
    and why the hell are you bringing up posts which are months / years old?

if anyone needs to get a life ....

Coz the bozo is apparently still stuck in the past

Time warp, like he said about HJR.

My theory is simple. if a guy is acting like a rabid dog then
    --he needs to un-jizz
    --get laid
    --find sheep
    --un(un(chill))
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---