DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Solution/Practice When the Oracle DB is going larger & larger....&..

Question What is the Best Solution/Practice When the Oracle DB is going larger & larger....&..

Gurus!

Can anybody put a light on the scenario where the oracle db is continuously becoming larg & more larger.

The question is that whats the best solution/practice to manage such a database performace & storage wise?

Thanks in advance!

hire a dba, but a good one

check batch jobs and processes such as massive deletes and buy disks

but hey a database should grow, why shouldnt it?

Hi

You should alo create a archive database that periodically moves data and stores it in the archive database .Some regulatory standrds come into force wherein you need to maintain data for certain number of years after which it can be discarded..like account transactions need to be kept for 15 years after which the transactions can be discarded.

http://www.outerbay.com/

regards
    Hrishy

The concept of archive database is really stupid IMHO, I have seen several and it´s just a waste of resources.

In one of projects I have been was taking 5 years data from production to another database just for reporting purposes. And I thought there were a DWH....

Hi All,
    Talk to your developer how much of data is required for meeting the SLA(service level agreement) and then discuss this with manager and purge all old records.

This way, not only you would be saving space , also you would be improving the performance of the application.

We do this for some our very big tables.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

Originally posted by pando
    The concept of archive database is really stupid IMHO, I have seen several and it´s just a waste of resources.

In one of projects I have been was taking 5 years data from production to another database just for reporting purposes. And I thought there were a DWH....
    But there are stuatory requirements to retain old data..

regards
    Hrishy

Well it depends, the ones I have seen they move the data for reporting purposes so that´s really stupid, if you need them then simply store the data in the transactional system.

If your requirement is enforced by Law then you can set your backup retention period to 10 years or so. Normally if LAW comes in place we usually keeps physical backups for X years and not just a set of data. But then again if your data is required under this circumstances then I dont see why you dont simply store them in the transactional system.

I have seen projects which takes 1 or more years simply to trying to extract historical data to another database (and guessing how since not all tables have timestamps) from an OLTP system. Waste of money and time!

Originally posted by pando
    Well it depends, the ones I have seen they move the data for reporting purposes so that´s really stupid, if you need them then simply store the data in the transactional system.

If your requirement is enforced by Law then you can set your backup retention period to 10 years or so. Normally if LAW comes in place we usually keeps physical backups for X years and not just a set of data. But then again if your data is required under this circumstances then I dont see why you dont simply store them in the transactional system.

I have seen projects which takes 1 or more years simply to trying to extract historical data to another database (and guessing how since not all tables have timestamps) from an OLTP system. Waste of money and time!
    Actually, minimizing your dependence on on-line storage is not such a waste of money. Your transactional system may be able to accomodate 10 years worth of data - that's great! But we have clients who simply can't do that. Their applications become bogged down, HA/DR is compromised, nightly batch windows are not long enough, etc. and they end up spending waaaaay too much on SAN. It has been well worth our time to expand on our replication technology in building a truly intelligent data lifecycle management solution that will save our customers millions in unnecessary storage.

Andy Knudsen
    Ixion, Inc.
    www.ixionsoftware.com
    The ox is slow but the earth is patient.

some application itself provide archiving old data process (for example, peoplesoft) so ask your developers about this option.
    Last edited by xyz2000; 04-08-2005 at 11:58 AM.

====
    Can anybody put a light on the scenario where the oracle db is continuously becoming larg & more larger.

The question is that whats the best solution/practice to manage such a database performace & storage wise?

=======

The purge process (or archive process) should be thought out at the design stage and implemented from the day one when the system goes live.

I saw in one system the disk space utilization has been growing rapidly every month. There is one log table that never gets purged. The worst part is the application has not been using the table at all in any query.

In the current project, few months ago I informed the application team that I need another 8 disks (of 156 GB size) in another six months time or the application should come out with purge process.
    I told the team either one of them is OK for me.

Tamil