DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Tour de France

Anyone else following the tour this year. I watch OLN every night to see the coverage on each stage. I thought yesterday was a GREAT ride for Virenque, a Frenchman winning the stage on Bastille day.

I can not understand why the most grueling sporting event on the globe has not caught on in America.

I'd still love to see Armstrong do it and set a record 6 consecutive wins.

Anyone?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

I watched the the tour every day last year. But I haven't yet seen it this year. I plan on wathing it starting next year. I really enjoyed watching it live every morning. As someone who has ridden a few centuries, the sustained speed of these cyclists is unbelievable.

Armstrong is in yellow as of today (stage 15) . I think the rest will have a tough time gaining on him at this point. Basso is one to watch for sure, he has done great. Voeckler is to be commended for fighting a great fight, he has everything to be proud of. Ullrich seems to have blown up this year but is still a threat in the TT.

MH

Do you cycle Mr Hanky?

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Do you cycle Mr Hanky?
    Oh yeah, I have for a long time. Road and mountain, it is all good.
    I have never done a centry though, I really want to, there is one in September and I am thinking about it. I have had problems getting comfortable on my road bike lately so that is a real downer. Been using the MB with road tires on it.
    Did the 5 boro bike tour this year, that was a blast!!
    How bout you?
    Still riding?

Let's see how Alp D'huez pans out today. I do not think Armstrong can be beaten, especially since he gets to go last and get all the splits.

The guy is making history and it gets no press here in the states.

MH

I have done several centuries and several near centuries. In 2002, I did the California Aids ride where I rode from San Francisco to Santa Monica in 7 days. A total of 575 miles. I would have been just as happy to keep going at that time.

Are you talking about the Seagul Century? I hear it is kind of boring. i.e. too flat. Flat is good, but a 100 miles of flat is too much.

I really want to do the 5 boro's ride in NYC. I have heard it is a great ride. Being able to ride through NYC in relative safety is a big plus.

I haven't ridden as much lately. Maybe that will change. I might have to look into the Seagul, I haven't done it before. BTW. If you are looking for a challenge, check out TOSRV, Tour of the Scioto River Valley. It Mother's day weekend, a two day 206 mile ride. The weather makes it more challenging. A lot of wind.

That CA. tour sounds great. I used to live in Santa Monica, drove up the coast on Rte 1 to San Fran once too, it is a real nice ride.
    Did you take rte 1 or was there another route? I didn't think it was that far from SF to Santa Monica.

MH

We started out on Route 92 went to Santa Cruz, then inland through the Central valley, down to Morrow Bay on the coast, then down to Santa Barbara and then Santa Monica. I don't think that we took a direct route. 2002 was the last year of that ride. There is supposed to be a life cycle ride which does something similar.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Do you cycle Mr Hanky?
    Sure, he's on windows. He has to cycle his box every 3 days or so.
    Jeff Hunter

Stage 15 update!!!!

L'ALPE D'HUEZ, France (AP) -- Riding through a frenzied sea of fans, Lance Armstrong dominated his rivals Wednesday and extended his overall lead in the Tour de France by winning a time trial high in the Alps.

Armstrong finished the 9.6-mile climb through 21 hairpin turns to the L'Alpe d'Huez ski station in 39 minutes, 42 seconds -- the only rider under 40 minutes. He was 61 seconds faster than second-place Jan Ullrich and actually passed his closest challenger, Ivan Basso, even though the Italian started two minutes ahead of the Texan.

It was Armstrong's second consecutive stage victory and third during the Tour, and at this point, only a disaster would appear to stand in the way of his record sixth straight title when the cycling marathon ends in Paris on Sunday.