DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Caching locally - how?

Caching locally - how?

Pardon my ignorance. I don't know much about application servers. How does one accomplish caching at the application layer generally?

Here's an excerpt from the performance tuning guide.

"Caching data locally can be further extended into building a local data cache into the application server middle tiers. This helps take load off the central database servers. However, care should be taken when constructing local caches so that they do not become so complex that they cease to give a performance gain. "

How do you build that "local data cache" that they talk about? Typical examples would be where you store sequences or sysdates in the local cache. More importantly, how do multiple connections "see" this populated cache at the application layer? Clearly I have no Java or object oriented code knowlegde..
    Last edited by Axr2; 07-09-2004 at 02:26 PM.

welll
    first of all granting u pardon(mmmm).... i studdied a lil bit about oracle 9i application server...as we cache data on our local database server to improve performance and reducing physical reads...Oracle has a support of this that same kind of cache u can have on ur middle tier that is ur application server(Oracle IAS)....so u can cachew ur data blocks on middle tier cache....so if neede blocks are found in the local cache of application server, the request is not sent to databaseserver hence increasing response time.
    Regards
    Salman Ahmed Qureshi
    Lahore, Pakistan

read about webcache

Salmanucit - you merely rephrased the excerpt that I'd pasted

Pando - got a url by any chance? Is it in the iAS documentation? How do you allocate memory for this stuff? What about the 'business logic' part of it? Say a process depends on sysdate, and you are caching it (the sysdate) at the middle tier, come midnight I assume another process needs to go and update the cache. Then there comes into play, data concurrency issues..

Last edited by pando; 07-10-2004 at 02:45 PM.