DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Temp tablespace and LOGGING/NOLOGGING

Temp tablespace and LOGGING/NOLOGGING

Just hear me out with this.

I would imagine that any blocks altered when sorting in the TEMP tabalespace would never be (or don't need to) written as REDO. So why can you create a TEMP TBS with the LOGGING option?

I've got a DB that generates REDO all night when theres little or no DML. It could just be REDO generated by the use of the TEMP TBS as it has the LOGGING option set to LOGGING.

(This is 8.1.5 on Windows NT4)

At least in 7.3 you could only create a TS with DATAFILE's and there was nothing to stop you storing a permanent object in that TS - which should be logged.

From v8(?) you can create a TS with TEMPFILE's - you can NOT store a permanent object in such a TS. AFAIK, these are never logged.

The Tablespace in question has 'TEMPORARY' Contents according to DBA_TABLESPACES. It is also set to 'LOGGING'. This is what confuses me.

If it had been created as a Permanent TBS using CREATE TABLESPACE (rather than CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE...) surely the Contents would be set to PERMANENT?

If it is created a normal TS, you can flip beween PERMANENT & TEMPORARY with ALTER TABLESPACE. I guess this leaves the logging options unchanged.