DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: db block size difference in performance

db block size difference in performance

I have converted my application from an 8.1.7db to a 9.2.0.1db. It takes the 9i db twice as long as 8i to processes the same queries. I have converted all indexes and analyzed all tables. When I created the db I made the mistake of using a 4k block size on 9i but had an 8k block size on 8i. Should this effect performance this severely?

Other differences:
    o 9i uses LMT as opposed DMT

It could affect performance, but the more likely culprit would be the query plan changing.
    Jeff Hunter

It may also depend on the type of data you're getting from disks. For instance like LOBS. If you're snatching a 200meg jpg and you're using a 4k block size of course it's going to take longer to put it into the buffer cache than 8k would.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

thanks for the replies... I will dig further.

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    . . . If you're snatching a 200meg jpg and you're using a 4k block size of course it's going to take longer to put it into the buffer cache than 8k would.
    Yes slower, but is that going to be significant with read-ahead caching and Oracle's multi-block reading?

Originally posted by DaPi
    Yes slower, but is that going to be significant with read-ahead caching and Oracle's multi-block reading?
    Hmmm, good point. To be honest I can only share from my experiences. I'm running a spaital database that has many lobs (tif's)that range from 23 megs to 500megs. I've recently rebuilt my database from 8k block size to a 32k block size and have seen a noticable performance increase. Now granted it's nothing dramatic but it is enough to perk your eyebrows up.
    --------------

Good for your LOB's - is the overall performance still good?

I've seen it suggested that if you have a 32K Oracle blocksize and an OS/hardware blocksize of (say) 4K, then any Oracle single block read looks like an OS/hardware multi-block read and so triggers read-ahead, which in turn tends to flush the OS/hardware buffer unnecessarily. But then these flushed blocks should be in Oracle buffers by then . . . shouldn't they? Any comments?

P.S. wouldn't spend too much time on this - as Jeff says, look to the plans!

Ohh I totally agree that you should check into the plans. I was just taking it for granted that - that was the #1 thing to look at before you start messing with block size.

As over all performance, all I can say is that my queries aren't taking as long. I've got a pretty beefy box so I've got a lot of memory thrown at it.
    --------------

I have a suspician that they changed the blocksize but kept the init.ora parameters the same. This in turn could influence the optimizer to do more FTS then before.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    I have a suspician that they changed the blocksize but kept the init.ora parameters the same.
    That would halve the size of the buffer cache for start!