DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7.3.4 - truncating huge table with few extents

7.3.4 - truncating huge table with few extents

On a 7.3.4 database - I've got a 20G table with few extents (40). Do you think a "truncate table" will take long? Will it make my smon go crazy and make the system crawl for a significant period of time? I would guess not since # of extents is relatively few. Thoughts anyone?

Wonder if I should just play it safe by issuing a 'truncate table blah reuse storage;" and "alter table blah deallocate unused" in smaller chunks instead.

Sounds safe to do it in one chunk to me.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

If you are going to populate 20 gb data again, then use "truncate table reuse storage", otherwise use "truncate table" command.

Tamil

Well, a 'truncate table;' on a huge table behaves pretty funky. Sometimes it goes through in a flash, while others - it just hangs in there forever; for no apparent reason. There's no load on the system and I'm the only user logged on! Yet, it'll just sit there for ever..hit a ^C, then try it again a few times, and it'll go through once in a while, if you're 'lucky'! I traced the thing while it hung, but it show's nothing. Oh well..

Fortunately, this was on a 'test' system. There's no way I'm issuing a 'truncate table ##;' on production. I'm gonna deallocate in chunks.