DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: export backup

Angry export backup

Hello firends

Is export backup a logical backup ?.......
    if yes can anybody explain me what exactly logical means ?.....
    aren't we are exporting the file,so why it is not called physical backup

Thanks a lot

Using exp for a production backup is a big mistake. It is one of my top 10 things to never do.
    Jeff Hunter

Logical means this backup is "Oracle Aware".
    When you perform an export you backup table/index/view/etc. definitions and the data rows of your DB (Unlike physical backup which handles files, not caring what they contain).

Unlike the other reply, I beleive it is a good practice to do both physical (hot/cold) and logical (export) backups.

In this method you have more flexibility. In case of a physical disaster (your Disks went dead) you have the physical recovery method, But more often than not you will have a developer come to you: "Oh no ! i dropped the wrong table !", In these cases it makes a lot more sense to recover ONLY the missing tables/rows. Export backups have saved me a lot of time many times before.

I agree that it is OK to take dumps besides the backups (in case you have the available disk space :-) that could be an issue)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    I agree that it is OK to take dumps besides the backups (in case you have the available disk space :-) that could be an issue)
    Sure, on dinky little databases. But when your export lasts 22 hours, you basically end up doing exports all the time.

Have you ever REALLY recovered a complete table from an export? 9 times out of 10 they have old data that you still have to sync up with the rest of your relations. If you have developers accidently dropping tables, then you have both a security issue and a procedural issue.

Personally, I don't think exp has any place in a backup methodology. Use the tools for what they are intended.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Have you ever REALLY recovered a complete table from an export?
    A whole database. There was no backup. Only one old dump file :-) But that was better than nothing.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    A whole database. There was no backup. Only one old dump file :-) But that was better than nothing.
    Oh, so that's no?
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    If you have developers accidently dropping tables, then you have both a security issue and a procedural issue.
    Come on.. whatever security policy or procedure you implement you can't avoid human errors..

P.S. I am not in support for export-only backups. But beside physical backups if you can afford, why not?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

I still do not see what is wrong with an export as a backup.
    IT DEPENDS ON THE SYSTEM AND THE APPS REQUIREMENTS.

Not all DB's are HUGE and in hot backup mode, some can afford to loose 24 hours worth of data. As long as you are in agreement with the apps group then a daily export will work fine.

I just restored a table using import as a test, it works.

MH

Bring on the hellfire.
    I remember when this place was cool.