DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i catalog with 10g database

Question 9i catalog with 10g database

Greetings To All,

I would like to know whether we can use oracle 9i recovery catalog with oracle 10g database.I tried to do it but got errors about version incompatible.The errors"PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version 09.02.00 in RCVCAT database is too old" The whole list of errors were "PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version 09.02.00 in RCVCAT database is too old
    PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version 09.02.00 in RCVCAT database is too old
    PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version 09.02.00 in RCVCAT database is too old
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03002: failure of list command at 06/25/2004 10:29:36
    RMAN-06429: RCVCAT database is not compatible with this version of RMAN

My question is it possible to have 9i rman catalog for 10g database.If yes how to implent it.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P_G

I think the errors tell you that you cannot

Per the compatibility matrix on metalink (Note : 73431.1) You should be able to use a 9i catalog database to backup a 10g database. I have not done this personally, but would imagine that you need to create a NEW / separate recovery catalog schema for the 10g target on the catalog database. Then, you should be set (or so I would hope).

----------

What's the version of your catalog database? Per the compatibility matrix, as long as you are using a 9.0.1.3+ schema (a schema that backs up 9.0.1.3+ databases) on your 9.0.1+ database, you should NOT need to create a separate schema.

Sounds pretty interesting. Open a TAR if you can't get it to work. I'd be interested in hearing what Oracle has to say about this as well. Would be great if you could post afterwards.
    Last edited by Axr2; 06-25-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Originally posted by Axr2
    but would imagine that you need to create a NEW / separate recovery catalog schema for the 10g target on the catalog database.
    That's the way I would do it. I would then issue a "create catalog" from my 10g rman executable.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    That's the way I would do it. I would then issue a "create catalog" from my 10g rman executable.
    Yes, that's true. But it is a basic rule that the catalog DB should have the highest version of Oracle.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Thanks to all,

My database version for recovery catalog is 9.2.0.5.As per the Rman compatibility matrix it said its supported.My question is how should i use 10g Rman executable on 9205 database.Do i need to install or copy 10g rman executable on 9205 database.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P_G

Why not upgarde RMAN catalog for 10G

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/help/databas...rcmsynta58.htm
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

Thanks To All,

I tried to register my 10g database with 9i catalog.Thats true you cannot register your database with 920x recovery catalog.You need to create a new catalog with 10g rman executable.I did it.It worked fine for me.So its possible to have 9i recovery catalog and 10g as target database.

P_G