DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: From Client/Server to Web

Unhappy From Client/Server to Web

Hello,

I am currently running an Oracle 8.0.5 Database about 1.2 GigaBytes in size on a Novell 5.1 server.

1) I want to migrate to a Linux Red Hat 8 Server (I know that I have to upgrade to Linus Red Hat Enterprise 3 (ES)) No questions about that.

2) I want to upgrade from a 8.0.5 Database to a 9i database. I have heard there are 3 possible ways of doing this: directly by import/export, going to 8.0.6 then 9i or going to 8i and then 9i. What do you think is best ? and why ?

3) I want to go from a Client/Server architecture with about 8 clients to a Web architecture. I have heard that I would need to purchase iAS (Internet Application Server) in order to manage multiple Forms/Reports request at the same time. What can iAS do that I cannot do with Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i ?

-----
    Also, my current Oracle Forms/Reports application uses Parameter Forms and is based on the RUN_PRODUCT builds. Going to 9i with iAS, what kind of modifications should I expect to do to my Oracle Forms/Reports to goto a Web based application ? I have heard that I might have to modify some Report Triggers ?

My Oracle Forms/Reports is developped in Oracle Forms/Reports 6i. Would I need to rewrite my application for Oracle 9i ?

Your feedback is appreciated,

Regards,

PT

Re: From Client/Server to Web

Originally posted by ptreves

2) I want to upgrade from a 8.0.5 Database to a 9i database. I have heard there are 3 possible ways of doing this: directly by import/export, going to 8.0.6 then 9i or going to 8i and then 9i. What do you think is best ? and why ?
    Since you're switching platforms, you basically have two options:
    1. exp/imp
    2. copy data from machine to machine (sqlplus copy, dblinks, etc.)

Personally, I would setup 10g on my Linux box and setup the tablespaces and users like I want. I would then use exp/imp because it's a very small database.

3) I want to go from a Client/Server architecture with about 8 clients to a Web architecture. I have heard that I would need to purchase iAS (Internet Application Server) in order to manage multiple Forms/Reports request at the same time. What can iAS do that I cannot do with Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i ?

-----
    Also, my current Oracle Forms/Reports application uses Parameter Forms and is based on the RUN_PRODUCT builds. Going to 9i with iAS, what kind of modifications should I expect to do to my Oracle Forms/Reports to goto a Web based application ? I have heard that I might have to modify some Report Triggers ?

My Oracle Forms/Reports is developped in Oracle Forms/Reports 6i. Would I need to rewrite my application for Oracle 9i ?
    You certainly believe a lot that you hear (I assume from an Oracle Sales weenie). Personally, I would rather understand why each piece might be needed and decide if I need it or not.
    Jeff Hunter

Unhappy I need answers !!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I believe what the technical documents and such tell me.
    This is all new stuff to me.

What is your point of view about iAS ? and how I might have to modify my existing Oracle Forms/Reports 6i application ?

That is very important to me !!!!!!!

PT

Re: I need answers !!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ptreves
    What is your point of view about iAS ? and how I might have to modify my existing Oracle Forms/Reports 6i application ?
    I don't use it. But I don't use Forms/Reports.
    Jeff Hunter

Same answers you received at dbaclick.com.

my answers might be out of date.

you might need to be on 8.1.6 or higher to use 9iAS.

9iAS is IMHO, Apache plus add ons. You should be able to read the Forms Server and Reports Server documentation and set it up pretty quickly.

In 2002, one of the developers i supported was frustrated with Oracle because it was no longer possible to separate the Oracle Runtime for Forms from Oracle Developer. Using 9iAS, it would not be an issue.

Good luck
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Unhappy Oracle 9i AS

Hello,

What do you mean Oracle 9i is IMHO ?
    So Oracle 9i AS, could run my Forms/Reports Application over the Web ?

I don't realy need Oracle 9i + iAS ?

Is that it ?

PT

9iAS is Apache plus add ons.

Oracle application server versions 3 and 4 had a Spyglass listener, whatever that means.

Thus, if you have some familiarity with Apache, it won't hurt.

In order to run Forms and Reports "over the web", you need the application server with the forms server and reports server configured.

Simply using Oracle 9i database is not sufficient.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

So you still haven't read anything (white papers, etc.) at Oracle's website?

Smile Comments !!!

Hello,

No, I am just overloaded with information !!!!
    I like to have feedback from peers...gives me confidence in my understanding.

PT