DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best Scheduling Tool

Best Scheduling Tool

Our company is currently using a third-party software to setup / schedule jobs for our Oracle 9i DB.
    This software is called "Informatica", and is currently not performing as we'd like it to.

Our goal is to be able to setup scripts (PL/SQL, Perl, Java) that can be scheduled ... and also be monitored.
    We would love to have some type of UI that would show graphs, real-time data.

I've heard OEM is a possible solution, but I don't believe it has a UI.

Apart from developing our own UI to work with DBMS_JOB, do any of you have any ideas / suggestions ?

TIA !

UI = user interface.

OEM does have UI to schedule jobs. Dunno what graphs or real time data you are looking for..but OEM does display lots of pretty moving pictures.

What's your OS? There are many scheduling tools available if you wanna do it outside the database.

PS: FYI - 10g allows execution of external programs from within Oracle as well. Here's a recent post on this website http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora...cheduler.shtml

Oracle installation is on *n?x machines... but some Admins solely use Windows (*sigh).

I wish we could jump on the 10g bandwagon, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I've integrated PL/SQL procedure calls in with Informatica sessions for scheduling/integration purposes ... it's not tricky to do at all, and has the advantage of keeping your ETL code in one place. Are there specific issues you have?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE