DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB LINK PROBLEM......URGENT

Red face

Hi guys,
    Something strange is really bugging my mind.
    I created a database link to connect 2 database on 2 different machines. I know I did the right thing but it did not work. I used OEM(SCHEMA MANAGER) to test it and it told me "THE DATABASE LINK IS ACTIVE" but any time I tried to I issue an sql statment to select data from both databases on the different machines, it does not work. Does anybody no what the problem might be?
    NOTE: I modified tnsnames file but I had the same problem.

I need some help, first of all.
    Assuming I have two databases DATABASE A and DATABSE B.
    DATABASE A is sitting on MACHINE A and DATABASE B is sitting on MACHINE B
    I have TABLE A in DATABASE A and TABLE B in DATABASE B.

Can anyone create an example database link connecting these two databases on these 2 separate machines and modify the tnsnames files for me to see?

I know I am doing the right thing but I will be glad if somebody can go through the process systematically so that I can compare and see where I went wrong.

regards,
    thedba

Do you have the service names setted up in the tnsnames.ora files. i.e. you should have the service name for machine B in the tnsnames.ora file in Machine A and vice versa. Check that and make sure the tnsnames exist and then try.

Good luck,
    Sam

You are connecting from a user test1 to another database user test2 on a database with tnsnames entry testdatabase.

Create database link test.word
    connect to test2
    identified by test2
    using 'testdatabase'

Dont forget to add the tnsname in source database's tnsnames.ora file. Check the global_names parameter also. Set it to false if you are not using it.

Santosh

Thumbs up

hai,

Check out the parameter "global_names" in int.ora file

if global_names = true

This means
    Global Naming -- enforce that a dblink has same name as the db it connects to

Regards...Thomas
    Thomas