DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using Standby for cloning

Originally posted by jmodic
    So what? All changes will be applied once the standby is up again and everything will be just honkey dorie, no? Nothing lost, no harm done.
    yes, once the changes are applied. My thinking is just working smarter and not harder. It's just one less step you have to take and also not having your standby actually down.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    I'm heading out to Rome for the weekend and won't be back till Wednesday.
    if u have a date, go to Tivoli - about 45-60 minute drive from Rome

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    yes, once the changes are applied. My thinking is just working smarter and not harder. It's just one less step you have to take and also not having your standby actually down.
    I agree. I was thinking exactly along with your thoughts. That's why I said: "Yes, except you don't need to actualy perform a shutdown of the stanbdby instance". But it won't be a mortal sin if he (hrishy) does and if that makes him sleep better - that's why I added "....it won't hurt if you do, though".

Bottom line:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong if you don't constantly apply changes to the standby. After all, that's why they provided a readonly open mode of the standby for us! The important thing is that the standby site can constantly recieve the chaanges from the primary, even if they are not applied immediately. And even if you temporary disable the transport of changes to the standby, that shouldn't be much of the problem - that's why FAL process is there for in DataGuard.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Bottom line:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong if you don't constantly apply changes to the standby.....The important thing is that the standby site can constantly recieve the chaanges from the primary, even if they are not applied immediately.
    I realized this recently. My "zip,xfer,unzip,apply" agent will simply not do the apply durng the process of cloning the standby.