DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rman dB duplication using an LTO tape

rman dB duplication using an LTO tape

I have been reading about duplicating a database using rman. We are doing our rman backups directly to tape using Netbackup media mangement. The target database (our production dB) and the duplicated database is seperated by 350 miles (563 kilo. if i did the math correctly).

What I'm trying to learn is if I can ship the tape to where the duplicated database will live, tell NB about the tape and then do the duplication process. I am not using a catalog when backing up the production database but I can change that easily if it makes a difference.

Any experience, insights? Has anyone "been there, done it"?
    Thanks,
    Frank

My guess would be that NETBACKUP has its own internal DB which needs to be replicated in the remote site prior to attempting restore from the tape. We did it with TDP (Tivoli Data Protection ) which is also tape management system.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

350 Miles = 563.15 KMs

Tamil

Originally posted by BV1963
    My guess would be that NETBACKUP has its own internal DB which needs to be replicated in the remote site prior to attempting restore from the tape.
    Yes, there is an internal dB. I'm hoping instead of replicating that, I can 'register' the tape with NB. The tape is bar coded.

When all that is said and done, I'm using my imagination that rman at the auxilary site will use the media management of (you guessed it) the auxilary site. I can invoke rman at the auxilary site and connect to the production target. And finally issue rman stuff.

ORACLE_SID=clone_sid # instance is started nomount
    rman TARGET sys/password@production NOCATALOG AUXILIARY /

DUPLICATE
    TARGET DATABASE TO clone_db
    DEVICE TYPE sbt

I'm concerned though because this is production and I aint a pro at this. It may be a tad bit safer also to use a different directory structure in case i frick up and it writes to the prod server (in a different directory ie. LOG/DATA_FILE_NAME_CONVERT).

thinking out loud here.
    thanx

You can't try on development?
    Jeff Hunter

No matter what, Rman needs to read from the production CONTROL_FILEs for rman to do it's thing. I'm just very paranoid 'touching' the prod dB. Putting paranoia (sp?) aside, *all* the writing to file systems will happen 563.15 KMs from the production file systems on the clone box.