DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TNS Blues

Unhappy

I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on Win NT4.0 and I am having issues with Net8. When I create an alias and test it in Net8 Config, it tests successfully. When I attempt to connect via an Oracle tool like SQL Plus or Worksheet, I get 'could not resolve service name' error message. I also cannot TNSPING the aliases. I have even copied a TNSNAMES.ORA file from a workstation that is connecting, and I still get the error! I would think it was a problem with Oracle and reload it, but I just loaded another workstation and have the same issue. I can test the aliases fine, but can't connect with them in Oracle tools.

Ray

Does your windows hosts file contain the translation of machine names to IP addresses?
    Perhaps try replacing host name with IP address in tns file.

What is the tns error message that you are getting?

Sam

I figured it out, it was the default domain parameter in the sqlnet.ora file. I checked a working machine vs a non-working and found this out. After removing the line entirely from the non-working machines, all of my aliases work now. Maybe someone else can explain this, but the error I got previously was TNS Could Not Resolve Service Name, an error I am familiar with. Why the default domain parameter caused me grief, I do not know. Thx - Ray