DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radio Group Question!!!

Radio Group Question!!!

Hi,

I am creating a form in which I have bunch of radio groups. I want to make my radio groups unselected so that if the user does not choose any of those radio buttons, only the nulls are inserted in the table. I have also created one radio item that I have kept hidden and given a value zero to it, to avoid the no intial value error. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Same question you posted on MetaLink. Same answer as before.

I am sorry what MetaLink are you talking about? This was my the only time I have posted this question here. You might want to post the MetaLink in your reply. Thanks.

I have a radio group item that I would like to display with two radio buttons, that, if either radio button is selected, the radio group item will, of course, take on that radio button's assigned value. If neither radio button is selected, I would like the value of the radio group to be a null value. How do I accomplish this?

P. McD. (name removed)
    University of Illinois
    College of Medicine
    Infomation Resources
    and I said

Two options:

1) Use check boxes instead. Radio buttons/group require one to be selected. Be prepared to handle (via code, e.g., a when-checkbox-changed trigger) the user who selects both checkboxes.

2) Add a third radio button which indicates your "no choice made" option.
    and someone else replied with

add a third radio button.
    set it's visible property to no
    Don't set the value property.
    And define it as the first item or the radio group.
    and that was followed by

That works as long the user NEVER selects one of the two that are displayed. "Oops, I don't want either one of those. Hey, how do you unset them?" That's bad design.
    I've read and answered thousands of questions here and elsewhere. What is the probability two questions with virtually the same question/setup appear in the same day on at least two different forums? First time I've ever seen it happen, not impossible, but pretty darn remote considering the similarity. That's all.

I admire you detail answer. Actually, I did add a radion button with a Null value and now it has solved my problem and it's one of the same options that you also suggested. I am not really sure if I had posted the same question somewhere else. I may have because I was at work and was in a hurry.

One more advice. I am a beginner in Oracle Form 6i and Reports and work for as an intern for a small company of a small town. There is no formal training or anything like that, so I was just wondering if you could suggest some CD based course or good book that would help learn the stuff well that I am may be missing when I am building form and report. I have been working witgh this company for the past few months and hoping to learn more and well. I hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Prentice Hall, Oracle Forms
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ifyab5j9ri/sm/0130158089

Prentice Hall, Oracle Developer/2000 Handbook (covers Reports too)
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ifyab5j9ri/sm/0139490337

Prentice Hall (again), Oracle Forms Developer - The Complete Video Course (related to the first one)
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ifyab5j9ri/sm/0130321249

Oracle Press books - get them only if you need heavyweight door stops

thanks for the listing of books. Would you recommend a book for SQL too? I want to improve my SQL skills. Thanks for your help.