DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there such a thing as Oracle Enterprise Manager Console in 10g??

I read somewhere there is a java app for oem on the companion cd - havent verified it though

Pardon my asking this. My OEM knowledge is fairly limited. I rarely use it.

From what I vaguely remember OEM 9i (and even earlier versions) came with a pre-configured web/http server. And I assume one could log in via the web to do some DBA tasks, correct? What's all the hype about 10g's new EM architecture? Why doesn't it suck as much?

PS: What's the jrew.jre killing being referenced here? Is that a 'hang' when you access OEM9i via the browser? Then you end up killing it on the client to clean up?

The java app is on "Oracle Database 10g Client" CD.

I've been unable to find some components of OEM using the web tools.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

The Enterprise manager console is very different in Oracle 10g from its previous versions. ANd what I understand you cannot use it to monitor databases that are not of version 10g.
    The product is much sleeker and has a lot more power than its previous versions but is not backward compatible. It is now called 'EM Database Console'. You must have the dbconsole process running to access EM Database Console from a client browser. This process is automatically started after you install 10g on your server.You can access the console by opening your Web browser and entering the following URL:
    http://hostnameortnumber/em
    Hostname is the name or address of your computer.Portnumber is the EM Database Control HTTP port number that is specified during installation. The default port is 5500. You can find the value for your system in the '$ORACLE_HOME/install/portlist.ini' file.

Hope this helps.

-Chintz

Well oem is crap0la and it's funny how a 10g product cannot use a 10g database as repository and must use 9.2.0.4/5

Well oem is crap0la and it's funny how a 10g product cannot use a 10g database as repository and must use 9.2.0.4/5
    They have a fancy term for it - interoperability.

they should have included 9iR2 and patchset in their OEM CD set heheh

Good one.

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    well...I would prefer using the java OEM rather then the dbconsole as it is limited in some sense...i cant even create replication master group using that!!! no doubt it does provide u a good overview of ur DBs interms of uptime...sql tuning hints/cues...but i juz need a tool to that is able to access/compatible with other oracle version for quick admin accessibilities...

ok..i gotta try downloading 10g client CD...gosh..over my 56k link..arggghh

Originally posted by pando
    Can you elaborate? I installed 10g and default OEM. No 9i repository. Or is it about OEM Grid Control?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"