DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: processes

Hi,

This is a dot com company. We have a lot of users login at the same time. We need a high value for processes in init.ora file.

1.Is there a limit on this parameter?
    2. If i give a high value to processes in init.ora, what else should i increase according to it?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know of any limits on this parameter. Change this parameter in init.ora and also increase #sessions in init.ora also. #sessions = (1.1*#processes) + 5

Thanks halo.

But i think maybe it is better if i use the multi_threaded server. I have no idea on multi_threaded server. Could somebody tell me the info. on it, such as configuration, advantage/disadvantage? I appreciate it very much.

The MTS architecture eliminates the need for a dedicated server process for each connection. A dispatcher directs multiple incoming network session requests to a pool of shared server processes. An idle shared server process from a shared pool of server processes picks up a request from a common queue. This means a small number of shared servers can perform the same amount of processing as many dedicated servers. Also, since the amount of memory required for each user is relatively small, less memory and process management are required, and more users can be supported.

The advantage of MTS is that system overhead is reduced and less resources are used, allowing the number of users supported to be increased.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the responses very much. But i need some info on configuration. Could someone help me on it? Maybe just a web address.

Thanks.

Watch out when you are increasing the processes. Before putting the new numbers in place, make sure that /etc/system

SEMMNS had been set to handle the enough number that you require. If this is low, and your init.ora limit is high, you wouldn't be able to start up your instance.

Good luck,
    Sam

Thanks. I will pay attention to that. The another problem is that how could i check the user usage for memory? If i incease the processes value in init.ora file we will allow more users to connect to the database. Each user need a private memory. i need to increase the memory space. So how could i know the exactly needed memory for one additional user?

Thanks.

You could use the following views to figure things out,

V$SESSION,
    V$LIBRARYCACHE,
    V$ROWCACHE,
    V$SYSSTAT,
    V$SQLAREA,
    V$DB_OBJECT_CACHE
    V$SESSTAT and V$STATNAME

You could do some joint queries to figure them out.

Sam

Hi, Sam,
    That means that i only need to increase the shared_pool_size and db_block_buffers in init.ora file. Is that correct?

That is correct. Your process size would depend on the following.

process size = Shared_pool_size + (db_buffer_size * db_block_size )+ large_pool_size + java_pool_size + log_buffer

Be carefull on setting up the sort_area_size and sort_retain_size also.

Sam