DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPC Vs TCP for DBLink

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi Jurij

will your stuff work..i was under the impression that IPC cannot work over network say from machine A to machine B it works only on a single machine..
    Exactly! But if you look at the original question, you'll find the following:
    Originally posted by Jr
    ... ( Assuming all instances on the same server ).
    So all the involved databases reside in one single computer, hence they can comunicate with each other using IPC, no?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Hi Jurij

Yup ur right..with single instance that works..sorry my oversight..

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by jmodic
    Code:
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = MY_IPC))
    Why do you think this wouldn't work with the databse links? Original poster explicitely mentioned all instances to be addressed via db links are on the same server, so what's wrong with using IPC for db links?

Oh yeah I tried that.. however i noticed the information in connect info dynamic view & it says its using Named Pipes..

But if you connect without any connect string it uses Bequeath (Aka IPC internally)..

So was kind of confused if it really uses IPC when Connect String is given ( Coz Dynamic View says its connected via "Windows NT Named Pipes NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production" )

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Jr's initial question about how different protocols affect performance appears to be unanswered. Would be good if someone could shed some light.

Hi

I dont think so performance would very much..i tested this on newer versions of hp-unix and windows Nt sp6 and above..the kernel was smart enough not to route this packest through the network interface when using IPC and Named pipes..i beleive he will ahve similar results with linux and other OS es..

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    the kernel was smart enough not to route this packest through the network interface when using IPC and Named pipes..i beleive he will ahve similar results with linux and other OS es..
    Even if its TCP it wont route to N/W ( except an initial dummy packet i guess ).. So performace wise it would be hardly any difference.. (Except for a duration when OS has to decide whether it needs to route data to N/W in case of TCP)..
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"