DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup rman catalog

backup rman catalog

Hi

How do you guys backup your RMAN catalog instance? Oracle does not recommend backup catalog using it´s own instance, does that mean I have to create another rman catalog just to backup the other rman catalog?

How do you guys do this?

Comments welcome

In 9i you can use RMAN without a catalog database, and it will use the controlfile instead. Providing you backup the controlfile you should be fine. This feature does exist in 8i, but the docs. suggest things can get sticky in a disaster recovery situation. Alternatively, you can create a catalog database on a different machine. If you choose the former read up on the controlfile_record_keep_time init.ora parameter.

IMHO.. if you've got more than one database to back up and/or if you have the space and resources, create an OEM database to store all the goodies in. That way, not only will you have all of your rman info, you'll be able to use the oem tools that require a management server.

The way Oracle is going these days with 10g it almost behooves one to plod along with creating a management server.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

hmm but noone backs up their catalog or what

OracleDoc then how do you backup that OEM database? With another RMAN instance? Plain OS backup? Export?

I back up my 9i catalog using the controlfile. My catalog is used to backup my 8i development and production databases

Hi,
    If you use RMAN with catalog, it means you have 2 instances.
    Use RMAN on instance B to backup instance A.
    Use RMAN on instance A to backup RMAN catalog on instance B.

Cheers.
    It is better to ask and appear ignorant, than to remain silent and remain ignorant.

Oracle OCP DBA 9i,
    C++, Java developer