DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup table

Does any one of you guys know what: alter table XXX backup;
    mean?

I think you mean

alter tablespace xxxx begin backup;
    alter tablespace xxxx end backup;

These are used to take a "hot" backup of your database, which can be done while the database is running instead of having to take it down. In a nutshell, you start with a begin backup statement, then you can copy the tablespaces associated datafiles to their backup location (using typical OS commands), then issue the end backup statement to bring the tablespace back to normal. You can do this for all of your tablespaces (one at a time), your control file and archived logs for a complete backup.

just checked SQL guide in online DOCs i cant see anything related to alter table xxx backup though

Hi,

I think that PWONEILL is right. What are you trying to achieve with that command so that you'll be able to get more help specific to your need.

Ac

The command is : alter table **** backup;
    check on sql this command;
    will turn : table altered, but i don't know the meaning, would you?

well I checked 8.1.6 online sql guide and I cant see anything about this command. Shall we check Metalink

I checked 8.0.5 and 8.1.6 sql reference , sqlplus online help, and a quick metalink search, and didn't see it anywhere. Although as you said I did it on a test table and got "Table altered", odd. If it's not in docs anywhere how did you find out about the statement in order to try it out?

As scott i tried alter table backup, and got error message insufficient privileges. As system i could backup scott.emp and in scott's user_tables column backed_up is Y for emp, N for rest of tables. Column means according to reference:
    Has table been backed up since last change.

The statement/flag are used internally for incremental exports, so you probablly shouldn't use it by hand or risk a modified table being left out of an incremental export.