DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DBMS_JOBS and RAC

DBMS_JOBS and RAC

I am having trouble conceptualizing how load balance and fail over processes across nodes for dbms_jobs in a RAC environment work. For example, if I want job1 to run in instance1 and job2 to run in instance2 so that memory and CPU is distributed, do I just submit the job while connected to the instance I want?

If jobs are submitted to a particular instance, then what happens in failover, if that instance breaks?

In another train-of-thought, I went to the RAC Administration index of the docs, I went to "Jobs" and then clicked "creating for cluster database". The link brought me into the OEM admin guide to setup via oem/agent where I would chose a destination. If this is the only way to configure, then does oem try a second instance if the defined (destination) instance is broken?

Any more insight? Thnx!

Re: DBMS_JOBS and RAC

Originally posted by gopi
    I am having trouble conceptualizing how load balance and fail over processes across nodes for dbms_jobs in a RAC environment work. For example, if I want job1 to run in instance1 and job2 to run in instance2 so that memory and CPU is distributed, do I just submit the job while connected to the instance I want?

If jobs are submitted to a particular instance, then what happens in failover, if that instance breaks?

In another train-of-thought, I went to the RAC Administration index of the docs, I went to "Jobs" and then clicked "creating for cluster database". The link brought me into the OEM admin guide to setup via oem/agent where I would chose a destination. If this is the only way to configure, then does oem try a second instance if the defined (destination) instance is broken?

Any more insight? Thnx!
    You can specify the instance on which you want the job to run or do not specify the instance to imply that the job can run on any instance. If you specifically tell the instance to run on server A and server A dies then the job will not run. Of course you could write a procedure to check for the success of the job and then run it on say server B if server A was unable to run the job
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message