DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMAN / TDPO - How to EXPIRE backups?

Jodie,
    Thanks for your response. Hope you had a fun holiday.

Hmm..that's odd. Yeah, I've read the TSM redbook. My retention settings are in line with what they recommend and are infact more 'aggressive' than yours. Wonder why they still don't get purged!

Few more questions :
    1) Can you do a "select * from backups where NODE_NAME='YOURNODE';" in TSM? Do you see any old entries beyond your expected retentions?

2) The STATE of a backup changes from ACTIVE_VERSION to INACTIVE_VERSION when you issue a delete from RMAN. What's the corresponding DEACTIVATE_DATE on these INACTIVE_VERSION records?

3) Does the INACTIVE_VERSION record get completely erased after you expire inventory?

The IBM guys are clueless about RMAN. I haven't made any headway through IBM Support. Thanks for your time again.

Few more questions :
    1) Can you do a "select * from backups where NODE_NAME='YOURNODE';" in TSM? Do you see any old entries beyond your expected retentions?

2) The STATE of a backup changes from ACTIVE_VERSION to INACTIVE_VERSION when you issue a delete from RMAN. What's the corresponding DEACTIVATE_DATE on these INACTIVE_VERSION records?

3) Does the INACTIVE_VERSION record get completely erased after you expire inventory?
    Sorry, I did this before and forgot to post it. I only see the things I expect to see - Active files, and those that RMAN deleted this morning. These are the same items that I see when I do "Show versions NODENAME *" The state of the RMAN deleted items does go from ACTIVE_VERSION to INACTIVE_VERSION. The DEACTIVATE_DATE is blank in both cases. And, yes, the INACTIVE_VERSION records are gone the next day after the inventory is expirerd.

Here's a sample:
    Code:
          NODE_NAME: NODE_ORA
     FILESPACE_NAME: /adsmorc
       FILESPACE_ID: 1
              STATE: ACTIVE_VERSION
               TYPE: FILE
            HL_NAME: //
            LL_NAME: df_DBNAME_895_1
          OBJECT_ID: 5859075
        BACKUP_DATE: 2004-05-31 23:30:16.000000
    DEACTIVATE_DATE: 
              OWNER: oracle
         CLASS_NAME: DEFAULT

NODE_NAME: NODE_ORA
     FILESPACE_NAME: /adsmorc
       FILESPACE_ID: 1
              STATE: INACTIVE_VERSION
               TYPE: FILE
            HL_NAME: //
            LL_NAME: al_DBNAME_858_1
          OBJECT_ID: 5561066
        BACKUP_DATE: 2004-05-15 23:50:52.000000
    DEACTIVATE_DATE: 
              OWNER: oracle
         CLASS_NAME: DEFAULT
    I wish I could be of more help, but we have a good TSM Admin here and also at my last shop, so I didn't have to do any TSM configs on the server side. (Funny how not too many people use TSM, but yet both companies I've worked for as a DBA - we've used it)

Good luck, and let me know if I can help any more.

Jodie
    Last edited by jodie; 06-01-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Nevermind. They appear to have got deleted over the holiday weekend! I have no clue why! They sat in an inactive state for over 2 weeks before getting purged one fine day. (The expire process runs everyday..)