DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shutting DB down from client

Talking

Can somebody with DBA, SYS, & SYSTEM priveledges shut down a DB from a client machine?

Hi,
    Sure you can do it.
    You just have to create a service for the destination machine on your client, use svrmgrl / svrmgr30 and connect as sysdba to the database (i.e connect sys/change_on_install@<service_name>) and shutdown the database.
    :)
    Rotem.

So assuming I connected with DBA priviledges and I am in SQL*PLUS and I want to shut the DB down from client machine do I have to do the following in SQL*PLUS?

connect sys/change_on_install@) and shutdown the database.

in able to do a remote shutdown you have to create first a password file with ORPAWD utility, enable parameter REMOTE_PASSWORD_FILE=TRUE in initSID.ora, after doing this bounce the database grant sysdba or or sysoper to a user who you want to do the remote startup/shutdowns. Let's assume you grant one of those two privilege to user system.
    This is server side.

In client side you do

connect system/manager@connect?string AS SYSDBA

once connected you can do remote startup shutdowns. You can only do this from SQL PLUS if client is from Oracle 8i.

Thanks, I understand perfectly. The REMOTE_PASSWORD_FILE=TRUE has been set the init.ora file. But I don't know wether a password file has been created or not. How do I find out if a password file has been created? If it has not being created, how do I use ORPAWD utility create it?

I am running Oracle 8i on UNIX.

thanks

Arrow

You can check to see if password file exists in the following directory:

/ORACLE_HOME/Ora81/Database/PWDsid.ora

Create a password file with ORAPWD utility found in ORACLE_HOME/Ora81/bin using following syntax:

C:\> ORAPWD FILE=PWDSID.ORA PASSWORD=PASSWORD ENTRIES=MAX_USERS

Hope this helps or for more info read Oradoc.