DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN - "semi" incarnation

RMAN - "semi" incarnation

Strange that RMAN doesn't differentiate a database (not really a new 'incarnation') restored under the below circumstance. (And yes, I realize that only a "resetlogs" leads to a new incarnation). Wonder how RMAN will go about restoring/recovering in the below scenario. It might be worth a test sometime! Hopefully, I'm not missing something obvious..

Say, Database Db1 is in archivelog mode.
    1) It was shutdown a week ago. A cold backup (with a simple file copy and NOT using RMAN) was taken (including d/fs, redologs, ctl files). The database was then at sequence # 100.

2) A day later you start to use RMAN on Db1, with a separate catalog - RMANCAT. You're happily crusing along backing up archivelogs and the like. The sequence#s are incrementing in the meanwhile.

3) A few days later, you're at sequnce# 200. Now, you wipe out DB1.

4) Restore Db1 from step 1 (cold backup) with a simple "startup". You're back to sequence# 100.

5) Now start backing up the database, archivelogs etc using RMAN again. Note : you didn't have to create a new incarnation!

6) A few days later, try restores and recovery (with SCNs) on this new database. I would think it ought to confuse the hell out of RMAN!

(Worse yet, in step 5 - say your RMAN script issues a 'backup archivelog all not backed up 1 times;' - the script will probably skip many archivelog files altogether, since it would incorrectly think that they'd already been backed up!)

Try it out and let us know.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Try it out and let us know.
    not taking the bait huh?
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by stmontgo
    not taking the bait huh?
    I'd stop at 4, recovering to the point I wanted, and open with resetlogs.
    Jeff Hunter

Where's the fun in that?!

Speaking of fun - I'm having to restore a gargantuan database on a Friday evening..gives me undiluted joy.
    Last edited by Axr2; 05-15-2004 at 12:03 AM.