Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: studying dba

Smile Re: I did it myself at home!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vimalp [/i]
    [B]Dear Rookie,
    I attended class for first and second paper than the institute
    went on bankrrupt(I loose $2500!), so i have to prepare rest of all
    at home as I was not able to invest more money on classes! Instead
    I brought Computer and jason's book to practice at home.

I found performance Tuning was most difficult one.
    Backup & Recovery and Intro to pl/sql have same difficulty level.

HTH,

[/B][/QUOTE]

I admire you for completing Oracle on your own. That's some determination!!!
    Well, I am currently stuck in a class where the instruction goes quite quickly and its hard to keep up! So I have decided to just concentrate on a few of the exams til its over, but I do want to pass at least two before the end. We are about to start Network admin, but I was concentrating on dba. I haven't reached into the 90's on 300 questions so I'm wondering if I should aim for the network admin and come back to dba???

Lightbulb

Dear Rookie,
    They allow you to repeat classes for network admin?
    if yes, than go ahed on db admin!

When i was preparing for exam, I never open
    other paper's book(like if i'm preparing Backup
    & Recovery than i didn't open network admin book)
    Just concentrate on one paper at a time.

I recommends 'classes first than go
    for certification'.

Good Luck :)

Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    Sun Solaris 8 Sys. Admin.
    A+

Unhappy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vimalp [/i]
    [B]Dear Rookie,
    They allow you to repeat classes for network admin?
    if yes, than go ahed on db admin!

When i was preparing for exam, I never open
    other paper's book(like if i'm preparing Backup
    & Recovery than i didn't open network admin book)
    Just concentrate on one paper at a time.

I recommends 'classes first than go
    for certification'.

Good Luck :)

Dear vimalp,

Yes and No, it doesn't quite work that way. We're suppose to have 2 exams passed by the end of Jan if not sooner in order to get a degree in addition to regular Oracle certification. Since I didn't pass PLSQL-(30 day wait),. The instruction goes onto to DBA, followed by backup, network admin, & performance tuning with the option of writing mixed in between. The Oracle vouchers are good for 1 year. So if I just concentrate on that alone. The pressure is off. But on the other hand it would have been nice to also have a degree.

Pretty tough odds though when you've come from the world of people and now to enter into the techside of things....

Hi Rookie,

Since you say that the classes you are in are really moving a little too fast for you, it sounds like you need another training form to supplement your ILT experience & maybe focus you on the areas really required for the exams.

The best tools I can think of for this are the TBTs (Technology Based Training) which contains the entire courses on CD-ROM but caters more to visual & tactile learners. It also gives you the time you need to fully digest a particular topic and they were co-developed by Oracle & NETg to either replace or supplement ILT. It sounds like you already have the SelfTest exam simulations for the final touch!

If you are interested in getting these materials, email me at monkeymom10@hotmail.com & we can see if we can work something out. Best of luck!
    "Today is the beginning of the rest of your life!"

Smile

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kahlan [/i]
    [B]Hi Rookie,

Since you say that the classes you are in are really moving a little too fast for you, it sounds like you need another training form to supplement your ILT experience & maybe focus you on the areas really required for the exams.

The best tools I can think of for this are the TBTs (Technology Based Training) which contains the entire courses on CD-ROM but caters more to visual & tactile learners. It also gives you the time you need to fully digest a particular topic and they were co-developed by Oracle & NETg to either replace or supplement ILT. It sounds like you already have the SelfTest exam simulations for the final touch!

If you are interested in getting these materials, email me at monkeymom10@hotmail.com & we can see if we can work something out. Best of luck! [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for this tip. Yes I am a bigtime visual learner!!!

Hi Rookie,

As a former Rookie myself, I can relate to your plight.
    I strongly suggest that you study DB ADMIN thoroughly. It is the core and basis for all the rest of the exams. If you have an in-depth knowledge of this subject, everything else will make sense to you. If you don't get DB Admin, it will be a difficult road ahead. Don't worry too much about the exams that lay ahead, study for one at a time and you'll be OK.

Good luck

maachan
    Oracle 8 DBA certified 10/2000

Smile

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maachan [/i]
    [B]Hi Rookie,

As a former Rookie myself, I can relate to your plight.
    I strongly suggest that you study DB ADMIN thoroughly. It is the core and basis for all the rest of the exams. If you have an in-depth knowledge of this subject, everything else will make sense to you. If you don't get DB Admin, it will be a difficult road ahead. Don't worry too much about the exams that lay ahead, study for one at a time and you'll be OK.

Good luck

maachan
    Oracle 8 DBA certified 10/2000 [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Maachan. I appreciated your advice as it is a little overwhelming right now, and I am having difficulty deciding which to study for. How did you find the network exam over backup & recovery, or performance tuning?