DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: temp tables

Hybrid View

temp tables

My application uses large number of GLOBAL temporary tables (db 9.2.0.1). Any performance problem will arise in the database? Give some suggestions.

Not sure what you mean -- do you mean, is there a problem just in having a high number of temp tables? I wouldn't think so, no.

However it might mean that the application developers are over-reliant on them, which is common in ex-SQL Server developers. It's often the case that populating and querying a temp table in Oracle can just be replaced with a query of an inline view.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Yes, a performance problem could arise when you use GTT and CBO. As you cannot analyze GTT, CBO estimates statistics and the guess could be wrong, causing bad performace of the query. Fortunately, you can estimate statistics yourself and set them using dbms_stats. As slimdave pointed out, use of GTTs should be rare, if you have "large number" of them, you made a mistake in application design. GTTs also use RBS and redo, which you avoid by using inline views.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

Thanks for ur valuable suggestions.
    my application uses nearly 50 GTT.