DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Primary Key and Partitioned Tables

Question Primary Key and Partitioned Tables

I have read the manual and Metalink and still do not get it. I want to create a partitioned table by range(one per month). I want a primary key that is also paritioned(not by the month). I also want to be able to drop a month partition and add a month parition every month.

Oracle recommends a Global Partitioned Index to enforce the primary key on the table. When I drop the partition and add the partition this index will become unusable? Is there a way to do this where the primary key index does not become unusable?? Thanks

Re: Primary Key and Partitioned Tables

Originally posted by lesstjm
    Oracle recommends a Global Partitioned Index to enforce the primary key on the table. When I drop the partition and add the partition this index will become unusable?

yup

Is there a way to do this where the primary key index does not become unusable??
    Hopefully, you're on 9. You can tell the drop operation and the add operation to rebuild the global indexes.
    Jeff Hunter

Another Question

We have a paritioned table by date range. On that table we have a local index that matches the primary key constraint. The question is when a record is inserted does oracle search every local index to make sure that value is not in the table?

No, I don't believe it would. I knows what partition the new value would fall in, so it only has to touch one index partition.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

We don't know what partiton it falls in.

If I have a partition by month and the local index and primary key are on account number. When I insert a record in the table it would have to look in all the local indexes to see if that account number is there. At least I think this is what happens??