DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question on the dependent objects and privileges when a table is renamed.

Hybrid View

Question on the dependent objects and privileges when a table is renamed.

Hi Guys,

This is a very basic question but I need to get some facts clarified.
    I am renaming a table (first I created a table 'ABC_1', Populated that table with an 'insert into...' statement from the original table 'ABC', then I dropped the table 'ABC' and rename table 'ABC_1' to 'ABC'). In this process what happens to the dependent objects? The views, procs and triggers become invalid thus I need to recompile them. The synonyms stay the same. WHat happens to the privileges on the table? Do I need to regrant them? AM I missing anything that needs to be done.

Thanks for your prompt response.

-Chintzs

Re: Question on the dependent objects and privileges when a table is renamed.

Originally posted by Chintz
    Do I need to regrant them?
    Did you grant them to ABC_1 yet?
    Jeff Hunter

Nope. I have granted no privileges to ABC_1.

-Chintzs

Then yes, you need to regrant them.
    Jeff Hunter

Re: Question on the dependent objects and privileges when a table is renamed.

Originally posted by Chintz
    Hi Guys,

This is a very basic question but I need to get some facts clarified.
    I am renaming a table (first I created a table 'ABC_1', Populated that table with an 'insert into...' statement from the original table 'ABC', then I dropped the table 'ABC' and rename table 'ABC_1' to 'ABC'). In this process what happens to the dependent objects? The views, procs and triggers become invalid thus I need to recompile them. The synonyms stay the same. WHat happens to the privileges on the table? Do I need to regrant them? AM I missing anything that needs to be done.

Thanks for your prompt response.

-Chintzs
    If I remember correctly, triggers get dropped when you drop a table. They don't just go invalid. Well, I guess triggers assigned to other tables that reference table ABC will go invalid. But if you have a trigger on table ABC... it's gone. So you have to recreate it for table ABC_1.

Jodie

Thanks.