DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database recovery

database recovery

Hi friends,

db = oracle 8.1.7
    os = windows 2000 advance server

I have two (2) servers with same os( serapate hardware) . One is the production server and one is development server. The two servers have same oracle db versions and also the same oracle SID (ORCL).
    Unfortunately, the production server crashed. I got a cold backup
    of its db (control file, redo file, db files, init.ora). I copied
    the production backup files to the development server.
    How can I startup two databases with the same oracle SID?
    Kindly help me with the commands pls.....

Thanks everyone

if the service is there ensure the init file points to the correct dirs for control files, bdump, udump etc....

If the directory structure is the same as prod then you're in hollywood, just issue stratup and open the db.

If the structure is different you might recreate the control file to point to the correct file locations or startup mount and ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE RENAME '' to '' sort of thing.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

I think he's asking if he can create 2 databases with the same dbname, sid on the same box. No.

yes friends,

I want both the prod db and dev db started up on the development server. How can i rename the Prod DB sid to another?

AFAIK, you'll have to create a new controlfile. If I were in your shoes, I would rather create a new controlfile on the DEV instance, rather than the production d/b.

I use the terms DEV and PROD to differentiate between the 2 databases here..but you get the idea..

1) Issue a alter database backup controlfilie to trace on DEV. Shutdown DEV
    2) Copy over PROD, init.ora, controlfiles etc to the server. Issue a startup. It'll come up fine.
    3) Try leaving the db_name on the DEV init.ora intially as "PROD", change the instance_name to DEV or something; edit the tracefile from stetp 1 and issue a "create controlfile database DEV..". If it works, you are set. In all likelyhood, you'll get an error message saying "the database is already open by some instance". If that's the case, shut it down, change the db_name (on the DEV init.ora) to "DEV". Issue a "create controlfile", and bring it up. Btw, I'm assuming you intend sharing the same oracle_home between the 2..
    Last edited by Axr2; 04-29-2004 at 12:34 AM.

You have to do cloning here..

Take trace of controlfile from prod server and move it dev server. Restore cold backup in dev server and edit the controlfile creation script to reflect new location for datafiles and redologs, new database name. Make the change in init file to reflect new database name. Startup nomount the database and execute this script.

This is just concept. You can get many documents for step by step process of cloning. Try www.google.com or searching in our own forum..
    -nagarjuna

Hi,

I can not take a trace anymore at PROD since it already crashed. We have to reinstalled everything on the PROD server. I dont want to
    touch or rename the DEV database coz many clients are using it. It
    there a way to startup the PROD db on the DEV server by renaming its
    instance/db name to new one?

thanks

Same thing. Change db_name to something else on the init.ora. Issue a create controlfile. You better be sure about what you're doing when you issue a create controlfile..else you're hosed.