DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN & CATALOG: One/Db or one/Group

RMAN & CATALOG: One/Db or one/Group

Hi All,

I would like to get some suggestions on setting up RMAN:

When setting up an RMAN Catalog on 50 to 60 DBs, should one resolute to have one catalog per database or one catalog per group of databases?

Which one would out weigh the other? and why?

I'm more a proponent to that of having one catalog per database.

Some flaring thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I've set it up both ways. There are positives and negatives to each.

With one catalog for all databases, you have all your information in one place. If you need to do queries against your recoery catalog for administrative reports everything is there. You have one catalog login and you don't have to remember 50 usernames/passwords. In theory, RMAN supports multiple dbs to one catalog, but there are bugs; sometimes showstoppers. When you're on the same version everywhere in the company, everythign is simple. When you go to multiple versions across your enterprise, this becomes more difficult. This is how I first started setting things up.

Eventually we ran into some issues where we manually cloned a database from PROD to DEV and it carried the same DBID, which confused the catalog. There were also some bugs when expiring backups that ended up expiring the wrong ones. We also have cases where the ORACLE_SID is the same, but the DBID is different and RMAN got confused.

I ended up splitting up the catalogs into groups that worked without any real logic associated with them. For example, I have an RMAN816, RMAN817, APPSTEST, APPSDEV, RMAN920, and DB1 through DBn catalog. As I move stuff from 8.1.7 to 9.2, I am putting each db in their own catalog. I like to do reporting across all backups, and that gets to be a pain, but the backups run fine every night. I don't have to worry about cloning because each db is in its own catalog.
    Jeff Hunter

Sambavan,
    One thing wasn't clear from your post (atleast not to me). Do you intend creating a separate database to store each catalog; or just a separate schema?

Target database SID -> Catalog database SID -> Catalog schema
    DB1 -> RMANCAT1 -> RMAN
    DB2 -> RMANCAT2 -> RMAN
    DB2 -> RMANCAT3 -> RMAN

OR

DB1 -> RMANCAT -> RMAN
    DB2 -> RMANCAT -> RMAN2
    DB3 -> RMANCAT -> RMAN3

From the sound of it, looks like you mean the latter. (If you by any chance mean the former - I wouldn't wanna maintain RMANCAT1,2,3 etc..it means twice the pain, twice the headache if you need to upgrade the catalog databases sometime in the future).

Its all in terms of schemas and not SIDs

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!