DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Create RMAN Catalog

Create RMAN Catalog

I have to create a RMAN catalog on a test server to test some new backup procedures with a vendor. When I go to create the RMAN database I am getting errors saying the RCAT database already exists. Someone must have been testing with this server before me. I can't find any files for the RCAT database. How do I drop that database so I can recreate it. Thanks.

Are we talking about a RCAT database or USER?
    I remember when this place was cool.

RCAT Database

I an trying to create a RCAT database to put the RMAN catalog in there but I am getting an error saying that it already exists.

Issue a "drop database;"..kidding.

What OS? (Could be a registry thing on Windoze) What's your create database command? Are you using DBCA? What's the error message? Details..details..

Possbile Answer

I talked to another DBA here and they gave me a possible answer. They said that if there were no parameter files and no datafiles on the box, what might have happened was the database was up and running when all of the files were wiped from the box. This means the processes were still up and running even though all of the files were gone. He said if we just shutdown abort then the instance would be gone and we would be good to go.

Misplacing a database, oh the shame of it.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.