DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMAN - aborted incremental backups and recovery

Originally posted by nagarjuna
    DBAs are there to take care of all those deviations from scheduled routien activities.. no way you avoiding that.. 100% automation is not good and not efficient too..

I strive for 100% automation as it is VERY efficient. The more manual labor that is needed to maintain my database, the more likely it will be shipped of to some country where DBA's make $5 a day...
    Jeff Hunter

Good points abt jobs being shifted to othe rcountries. But, I feel 100% automation is not efficient. Sometimes, automation scripts themselves take lot of time to write. I feel there should be a balance between automation and manula intervention depending on the type of activity and criticality of the set up. Offcourse, we should automate all the routine activities. We cant do the same for adhock activities. and i nthe case of exception.. writing code to capture and handle it will take lot of time. No we capturing and rectifying hardware problems..
    -nagarjuna

Just an update to an old thread.

Here's an excerpt from 10g documentation. Looks like 10g might actually address my initial concern.

"Restore Tolerates Corrupt or Missing Backups
    When the latest backup is not available, Recovery Manager (RMAN) now automatically uses an older backup for restore operations."

If I'm interpretting it correctly - if there's a missing piece, RMAN will now automatically look for an appropriate older piece.

===
    Ooh..as I read it again, it's just the "WHOLE" backup, doesn't take into account missing pieces..