DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: adaimgr to run on which tier ?

adaimgr to run on which tier ?

Folks,
    I am a DBA turned Apps DBA and relatively new to the AD utilities. I have a few questions on AutoUpgrade (adaimgr).

1)Should adaimgr be run on db tier or middle tier ? We have two nodes here. the database is on one node and the appltop on the other.We are upgrading from 10.7 to 11.5.9

2)Why do we have an appl_top on db node too ? I mean i am just confused why there is an APPL_TOP on the middle tier and one on the db node too ?. Is it because of the admin server that much be resided on the db node ?. adaimgr runs a lot of sql scripts that are in the $PROD_TOP/admin/sql directory. I find $PROD_TOP/admin/sql directory on both the db node and the middle tier. Which node files that adaimgr uses when it runs Auto Upgrade ? Why are these sql scripts located on both the db node (db tier) and the middle tier ?

3)What actually consists of the admin server. I was told the admin server always resides on the db node. Can you give 1 or 2 scripts that consitutes the admin server ?

-Thanks a lot and expecting help from you folks,
    Bye..Srini

1)Should adaimgr be run on db tier or middle tier ? We have two nodes here. the database is on one node and the appltop on the other.We are upgrading from 10.7 to 11.5.9
    - It should be run on the DB tier, which also has APPL_TOP

2)Why do we have an appl_top on db node too ? You must have Admin files on the DB tier. We also have two tiers. DB/Admin/Comcmgr on one node and Apache/Forms on another. When you run Rapidinstall and setup the nodes, it dumps files accordingly e.g. reports on Concmgr node and Forms on Apache/Forms node. For other files, it duplicates on both.

3)What actually consists of the admin server. It normally consists of Apps DBA utlitities such as adadmin, adctrl, adpatch etc. But, you can run these utilities from both the nodes. But if you run adadmin on the DB node, you will get 'Compile Apps schema' option but you won't if you run it on Apache/Forms node.

HTH.
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

Thanks a lot. That summed up ! Its very clear to me now. Thanks again