creating DB on 9.2 on Win2003. Unable to startup nomount
I used the DBCA to try and create a database on my new Windows 2003 server.
I chose to generate scripts and then used the 'Create database' option to create the DB. (I wanted to keep the scripts for reference).
The creation lasted just a few minutes and then failed with an ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel, closely followed by ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.
The creation failure also generated an OraDim.Log file that showed a series of error messages:
ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed.
I raised a TAR and was advised to check my sqlnet.ora file for an entry 'SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)' If found replace the (NTS) with (NONE). As the default for this is (NONE) can anyone help and explain why it was set to (NTS)? I'm sure its something to do with the way the Windows admin accounts are set up on this server.
Anyway - I changed the entry and chose to re-try by running the scripts line by line.
I successfully created the Service and Password file using Oradim and Orapwd, then I connected to an idle instance as the SYS user, but when I tried to 'startup nomount' using my pfile I again encountered :
03113: end-of-file on communication channel
Again the Oradim.log file shows ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed.
What is your setting for the parameter
The default is OPS$. Using your windows authentication you should delete this value,so that you are not authenticated by "OPS$your_network_name\os_user_name",but only by "your_network_name\os_user_name"
I've managed to get past this block. The problem was the DB_BLOCK_SIZE parameter in the init.ora file, which was hugely inappropriate (wrongly cut and pasted - it was set to the value of the DB_CACHE_SIZE!!!). Why this manifested itself with an error about credentials is beyond me.