I used the DBCA to try and create a database on my new Windows 2003 server.

I chose to generate scripts and then used the 'Create database' option to create the DB. (I wanted to keep the scripts for reference).

The creation lasted just a few minutes and then failed with an ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel, closely followed by ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.

The creation failure also generated an OraDim.Log file that showed a series of error messages:

ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed.

I raised a TAR and was advised to check my sqlnet.ora file for an entry 'SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)' If found replace the (NTS) with (NONE). As the default for this is (NONE) can anyone help and explain why it was set to (NTS)? I'm sure its something to do with the way the Windows admin accounts are set up on this server.

Anyway - I changed the entry and chose to re-try by running the scripts line by line.

I successfully created the Service and Password file using Oradim and Orapwd, then I connected to an idle instance as the SYS user, but when I tried to 'startup nomount' using my pfile I again encountered :

03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Again the Oradim.log file shows ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed.

Anyone help me?