DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: connecting through a terminal

Unhappy

Hi,
    I have been practising oracle on an NT server(all the time) directly on the server not through any client machine, so due to that I can easily see the init.ora file by going through the oracle home , disk layout, etc.e.g. through NT explorer I can easily see the disk layout also I can go through oracle home e.g. C:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN to see the network files, etc.
    So assuming the databases resides on a Server somewhere and I have to telnet to the server(to get to the DB) in order to perform general DBA duties, how am I going to see the disk layout to know which file is on what disk, also the init.ora files, tnsnames,etc

I am getting confused because on the server this is straight to see but if I have to telnet, I do not know where to start.

[Edited by learn on 11-17-2000 at 01:15 AM]

If I understand what you are asking, there is not graphical way to do it through telnet. You should just write down the paths to your files and keep them handy. You'll basically be using it like you would if you were at a command prompt.

A lot of the things you need to do can probably be done through OEM and the rest of the management tools provided. You can edit your init.ora file with OEM, Your tnsnames and sqlnet files with the Net8 assistant, etc.. etc.. You can size files, view and kill sessions, with DBAStudio. You really shouldn't need to get down to the files through the command prompt that often if you use the tools Oracle provides you with correctly. When you do need to get there though, you just need to become intimate with your major file locations which you should know anyway like where your control files and database files are stored at. One thing you can do is backup your control file to trace...this will give you a list of where your data files and such are at.

Another option, though I strongly recommend aganst it, is to put PCAnywhere on the server. If you can telnet to it, you should be able to get to it through PCAnywhere.

Hope that helps you out.

Joe

(877)687-3227

You can see the parameters in your init file in one of two ways from a client machine. In SqlPlus or svrmgrl issue "show parameters", or issue "select * from v$parameter". TNSNames parameters should be located and visible on the client machine using OS commands. Viewing directory structures on the server machine is not something Oracle does explicitly, nor does it need to. Those directories which affect things such as redo log storage locations, archive log locations, control file locations are all listed in the init. file. If you need to edit listener file parameters, this would need to be done on the server machine (unless DBA studio will do it.....I don't know this product.)

Talking Remote DBA Admin in Windows NT

Hai,
    Thru telnet you cannot access a WinNT Server from a WinNT Client.

To do the DBA Admin from a remote system

Assumptions :
    The user you are using should have a Admin Privilege
    Oracle is installed in c:\ of the server
    The client you are using is Windows NT Workstation

First share the c:\ of the server to some_ name

Then from the client system, you should map to the some_name of the server . The command for this from the cmd prompt is

"net use t: \\server_name\some_name /user:domain\username"

this will ask for the password, give the password for the user you have specified. This will map the drive as T: . Then go to T: and do the changes in the files.

OR
    You can even use the windows explorer to map the drive.

Suppose after mapping the drive, you made some changes in the listner and want to restart the service.

Give this command

srvmgr.exe \\server_name (This EXE will be in Winnt Server, you can copy it to your Client system)

Once you give this , it will show only the server on server manager window.
    Click on the Computer menu and select the service option. This will show you all the services running on the server. Click on the Listner service, then stop and start.

There is another way of starting and stopping the database from a client system with out using PC-anywhere/Control-IT. But you need Windows NT resource kit files for this. If you wanted to know this tell me I will explain.....

Hope this will be helpfull for You

...Thomas
    Thomas

thanks "guys"